HWBOT Community Forums

MOA 2013 Discussion

Vivi

• Crew

Welldone to everyone who passed the qualifier!

I just want to run a quick survey before MSI decide on benchmarks in the hope to make the competition more competitive but with "less" cost.

We all know how fun haswel is gonna be so we can make the 2nd round really interesting. It has opened up possibilities for world records in other 3D apps than Firestrike.

I'm gonna keep this thread short just to bring my point across short and sweet.

Titan is really impressive, but also expensive, i won't get sponsored one (like most of us) so it will be extremely painful financially to compete , and it might die at any moment during a bench as we've seen many pro's who know what they are doing kill these cards. See'ing as it is reference card anyway its more of a Nvidia competition than MSI. We can achieve same level of world records in other benchmarks too.

3Dmark 01 / 03 /05 / AM3 06 and few others will need the same amount of skill but will be much more affordable. We don't haaaave to run the latest 3Dmark.

I do like firestrike and if the titan round must happen i won't mind, i would just like to know what you guys think!

So who's up for titan yes or no, this thread is for good energy only im just testing the waters :).

Please say "yes " or "no" To titan, and suggest 3 benchmarks you would like to see.

Gunslinger - no titan: 32M Superpi , Cinebench R11.5 , FireStrike E.

Vivi - no titan: 32M Superpi, 3Dmark01 , DDR3 Highest freq

gnidaol - no titan: 32M Superpi, Unigine heaven, Ice Storm Physix score

joe90br - no titan: 32M Superpi, Unigine Heaven , Aquamark

Lucky_n00b -no titan: 32M Superpi, 3DMark01 , Firestrike P/E 780(non-reference)

Redmax - no titan: Wprime 1024, FireStrike, 3Dmark 06

thebanik - no titan: 32M Superpi, 3DMark01, Unigine heaven

saint19 - no titan: 32M Superpi , 3DM01/03/06, Firestrike P

Gyrock- no titan: 32M Superpi, 3Dmark01, Firestrike

dRweEz - no titan: 32M Superpi, 3Dmark Firestrike/11 , 3Dmark 01/03

Splave.ROM -no titan: Pifast , Max CPU, 3DMark01

newlife - no titan: 32M Superpi, 3Dmark03 , unigine heaven

hero - no titan: 32M Superpi ,3dmark fs/fs extreme, r11.5/Wprime 32m

driftingforlife - no titan: 32M Superpi, 32M Wprime, Firestrike E

rayhow - no titan: 32M Superpi, Firestrike E, Cinebench

[DRACO] - no titan: 32M Superpi, 3Dmark05/06, FIrestrike E

Spyboy48 - no titan: 32m Superpi, Cinebench, Firestrike E

bob(nz) - no titan: 32M Superpi, 3Dmark01, Firestrike (all haswell)

laoshu1919 - yes titan: 32M Superpi /New 3dmark fs or fse!/ wprime 1.55 32M or cinebench 11.5

FtW - yes titan: 32M Superpi, valley / FireStrike E/P , Ice Storn Physix

Wizerty - yes titan: 32M Superpi, Firestrike E, some CPU/GPU bench

giorgioprimo - yes titan: 32M Superpi, 3DMark011, 3Dmark01

Mikecdm - yes titan: 32M Superpi, Firestrike E, Cinebench

ASIA:

Hazzan -

dlnwj-oc -

Johnny.F -

Carezza -

thechickendance -

JJJC -

EMEA:

Perica_barii -

ryba (PurePC.pl) -

Don_Corleone - Matrix R&D -

ivanov -

Smoke -

nedernakker -

delly -

Bullshooter -

topdog -

Edited by Vivi

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be on NO for the titan but my 7970 died, so I will have to buy some VGA anyway... =(

For the benchmarks I would go for something really different, since it's written on the rules that the hardware requirement will be haswell, HWBOT unigine Heaven for 3D, 3Dmark ice storm physix test score (LOL I think it would be interesting), and 32M PI.

• Crew
I will be on NO for the titan but my 7970 died, so I will have to buy some VGA anyway... =(

For the benchmarks I would go for something really different, since it's written on the rules that the hardware requirement will be haswell, HWBOT unigine Heaven for 3D, 3Dmark ice storm physix test score (LOL I think it would be interesting), and 32M PI.

thanks man interesting request, physix score why not!

I will say hands down that Titan should not be allowed, like was said its locked by nVidia and requires extensive board modifications to be competitive. GTX 770 Lighting has been seen (at least in Taiwan http://www.ninjalane.com/n6148/MSI-GTX-770-Lightning-in-the-Wild) and is nothing more than a chip change GTX 680.

Deciding on a benchmark is so difficult. :)

Benchmarks: Wprime 1024m (just to be different), 3DMark Fire Strike, 3DMark 06

I already have a Titan so am in for using it :)

What if HWBot could put a wrapper around Unigine Valley in time for the next round....

I like this bench, it's like looking out the window here. It would be cool if it could get hwbot ready & used.

Pi 32m for haswell (man I hope I get more lucky than with ivy for a good chip!)

Firestrike P or E if not valley.

Not sure for the 3rd. Ice storm physics could be interesting, don't really like cinebench with my mediocre 3930k...

Well, to be honest I don't think this is a good way to make the competition.

I was the first one to ask in the qualification round, to ask to make clear what Will be the hardware and benchmark allowed for the semifinal.

Was told "all the new Intel platform and titan allowed".

I already bought 3 titan and no sponsor to get them.

Why I should by now the 780 ?

Somebody told "titan allowed" after that a big discussion was made in the qualification trhead.

About the benchmark i would like (but this is a personal tought) spi 32m, 3dmark 2011, and 3dmark 01

Well, to be honest I don't think this is a good way to make the competition.

I was the first one to ask in the qualification round, to ask to make clear what Will be the hardware and benchmark allowed for the semifinal.

Was told "all the new Intel platform and titan allowed".

I already bought 3 titan and no sponsor to get them.

Why I should by now the 780 ?

Somebody told "titan allowed" after that a big discussion was made in the qualification trhead.

About the benchmark i would like (but this is a personal tought) spi 32m, 3dmark 2011, and 3dmark 01

This is true Giorgio

Whatever happens, the rules have been published before and if modified, will harm some competitors.

As much as I don't like the idea of the titan, mainly because I lack the skill to mod one and am not willing to risk modding a $1k card, it's already been stated to be allowed. Not allowing titan is almost like saying you wont' allow a really fast cpu because it's not fair to those who don't have a really fast cpu. It's just part of the game.

Personally I think it'd be better to use something like a 780 lightning, in order to highlight an MSI product, but thats just my opinion.

One thing that I would certainly hope that doesn't change is

Any MSI "next generation Intel platform" motherboard

That pretty much means only haswell. Focus on one platform and thats it. No need for sb-e.

As for benches, I think 32m would be good. A big fat no on heaven. I'd rather do fs-e again. I don't mind cinbench and now that it offers globals, it wouldn't be a bad idea. But once again, only haswell.

One thing that I really don't like is the one person per country rule. In the americas, we have limited participation. It seems as if some participants can place poorly and still go to finals due to rule loophole.

One thing that I really don't like is the one person per country rule. In the americas, we have limited participation. It seems as if some participants can place poorly and still go to finals due to rule loophole.

I agreed.

In Americas:

(USA - 4 overclockers to hold 1 place)

Splave.ROM

Gunslinger

Mikecdm

Redmax

(Brazil - 2 Overclockers to hold one place)

gnidaol

Joe90Br

Canada and Columbia

FTW and Saint 19 (the best score will go)

IMHO, MSI though there were more competitors... but people did not join competition because lots of reasons (don't have MSI hardware, don't want, don't believe could be winner, don't like competitions ..., ..., and so on)

I believe the best way ATM is...

Join APAC + Americas + EMEA and let the best 9 ranked go to the finals.

Also... I could not understand why Americas had only 1 ticket and now more 3 places... and EMEA that's more competitive, the same 3 places.

Doing this way, the best 9 will go to the finals...

Is just my opinion... I can be wrong, but I could not understand.

Hi guys...

Well, my results wasn't the best or even good over this qualifier but was very funny and thanks to Lucky_nOOb I know some things of this MPower Z77. I was on final exams, so, unfortunately I only was able to use LN2 until this weekend, too late for 1st round ,but any way, to the point.

I didn't pass to the 2nd round but would be interesting see this benchmarks.

32M SuperPi or as a second option wPrime 1024M

3DMark01, 3DMark03 or 3DMark06 > I really love this 3 benchmarks

FireStrike Performance

Regarding Titan, I would say no. It's very expensive (in my case at least) and only can be found in reference PCB, plus, few days ago Hi Cookie "cooked" 3 of them....I think that would be the same history on this 2nd round.

Just my opinion. My current components (3770k + gtx 680) would be the same for the 2nd round but I didn't pass, so, I don't have to worry about.

Good idea Vivi and thanks for ask us our opinion.

Edited by saint19

I agreed.

In Americas:

(USA - 4 overclockers to hold 1 place)

Splave.ROM

Gunslinger

Mikecdm

Redmax

(Brazil - 2 Overclockers to hold one place)

gnidaol

Joe90Br

Canada and Columbia

FTW and Saint 19 (the best score will go)

IMHO, MSI though there were more competitors... but people did not join competition because lots of reasons (don't have MSI hardware, don't want, don't believe could be winner, don't like competitions ..., ..., and so on)

I believe the best way ATM is...

Join APAC + Americas + EMEA and let the best 9 ranked go to the finals.

Also... I could not understand why Americas had only 1 ticket and now more 3 places... and EMEA that's more competitive, the same 3 places.

Doing this way, the best 9 will go to the finals...

Is just my opinion... I can be wrong, but I could not understand.

Sorry for the double post...

1) It's Colombia...not Columbia, this can be misunderstood with some places in the USA.

2) As far as I understood, only the 50% of the participants goes to the 2nd round BUT only if exist 15 participants or more. In our case, we only was 9. In any way, FTW have more experience in this type of contest and have better results than me.

I know, my results wasn't the best compared with the results of the all participants but here is my "Odyssey" for this MOA. Add to this, work from 8 to 18 Monday to Friday and final exams on the night.

1) Mpower Z77 bought on March 7 in Newegg.

2) Was delivered on March 9.

3) Shipped to Colombia on March 11.

4) Arrived to my home exactly on March 15, few hours before the "dead line" for lucky draw.

5) LN2 was bought on March 17.

6) I had final exams on March 20, 22, 23, 24 and 27.

7) Received PM from Lucky_nOOb with help on settings for this motherboard. Thanks for this ;)

8) My daughter was sick on March 25 and 26, so, family 1st.

9) From March 28 to March 30 was my "real" time to bench and participate.

Sounds as excuse, but this time I think that all was against me....I already used the LN2, but unfortunately not for this competition.

Good luck to all of you guys ;)

Edited by saint19

Interesting topic Vivi,

AFAIK, the rule about semifinals are known beforehand, but it's not like it was set in stone, right?

I already bought 2 Titans(and its retail price are USD 1300-1400 each in Indonesia) and if the MSI wanted to use it for semifinal, then so be it. Many Pro overclocker say that modding Titan using bolt-on external VRM is the ultimate test of skills, so I can understand that.

Anyway, these are my opinions:

No Titan ( prefer non-reference 780 if any)

SuperPi 32M on Haswell

3DMark2001SE (haswell again)

Fire Strike / Fire Strike Extreme on 780s

As for the point weight, I prefer it to be 30% SuperPi 32M, 30% 3DMark2001SE, and 40% Fire Strike Extreme.

1) It's Colombia...not Columbia, this can be misunderstood with some places in the USA.

2) As far as I understood, only the 50% of the participants goes to the 2nd round BUT only if exist 15 participants or more. In our case, we only was 9. In any way, FTW have more experience in this type of contest and have better results than me.

I know, my results wasn't the best compared with the results of the all participants but here is my "Odyssey" for this MOA. Add to this, work from 8 to 18 Monday to Friday and final exams on the night.

1) Mpower Z77 bought on March 7 in Newegg.

2) Was delivered on March 9.

3) Shipped to Colombia on March 11.

4) Arrived to my home exactly on March 15, few hours before the "dead line" for lucky draw.

5) LN2 was bought on March 17.

6) I had final exams on March 20, 22, 23, 24 and 27.

7) Received PM from Lucky_nOOb with help on settings for this motherboard. Thanks for this ;)

8) My daughter was sick on March 25 and 26, so, family 1st.

9) From March 28 to March 30 was my "real" time to bench and participate.

Sounds as excuse, but this time I think that all was against me....I already used the LN2, but unfortunately not for this competition.

Good luck to all of you guys ;)

Is not about it friend... you do what is possible, and is not important to measure or even compare your effort...

I just agreed with Mikecdm in his phrase.

Is the reason I believe is better to join all... and the 9 best ranked go to MOA.... and don't mind if more than 1 overclocker be from same country.

Maybe you have more time to improve your scores... also try to go to the finals... and gave same chances to all...

Its about to limit 1 per country... and not about your job.

;)

I heard Columbia in english (Colômbia here in Brazil ;))

I'm pretty sure that you qualify. The way that I interpret the rule is that a minimum of 15 people will advance or 50% of participants, whichever is great. So we would have needed over 30 participants in order to have more than 15 people advance. Since there so few, everyone advances. I asked in the thread and massman confirmed that this is how it is.

As for pronunciation of your country, If I were to say it in English, it would be Columbia and that is how Americans spell it. If I were to say it in spanish, then it'd be Colombia as you pointed out. Kind of how spanish speaking countries abbreviate USA with EEUU, (estados unidos).