HWBOT Community Forums

Any tips for installation problems on W7 64?

I have a regular win7 64, with most services disabled.

I get an error when executing the msi file for Intel XTU.

Before I got this error, I got another error when installing one of the prerequisites - that was fixed by enabling the windows module installer service. That let me get further along in the installation process, but I still got hung up again.

I don't have the error code currently, but will come back here when I do have it.

Basically, there are service dependencies that the Intel XTU application requires to be enabled, and I think I have those services disabled... I just don't know which ones.

Ya, I ran those installs after I first received the error - they installed fine. Rebooted, still no luck for XTU.

I may need to just do a full fledged install to get it running, but I'm sure someone else will encounter this with a stripped OS at some point. FWIW, this OS isn't stripped... just services disabled.

I've used this windows configuration in the past, and all other benchmarks have ran on it (2d and 3d)... Though I haven't tested anything else on this specific install.

Thanks for the posts guys.

Wild guess, but it might be related to the SQL Server CE redistributable installation

Download: SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2 for Windows Desktop

Since you're running on a 64bit system, once you have extracted the files, you will need to install the x86 version first followed by the x64 version of the executable.

It looked like the first error I received was related to this package, based on the log file. But then after I enabled the Windows Module Installer service, the log file reported this package installed properly. However I don't know what the installer does, and it probably didn't do both the x86 and x64 version - so I'll try this and see where it gets me.

I think someone also mentioned the other day that you must have Firewall service active.

Would be easier to activate all services and then strip them out until XTU refuses to work.

I think I activated the windows firewall service when I was trying to troubleshoot, but it was late and I'm not absolutely certain - I did read this needs enabled when I was googling for similar error codes related to other applications. I'll try this and make sure its enabled to see if it makes a difference.

I think there are about 50 disabled services - so the thought of enabling all of them, then disabling them one by one, meanwhile installing and uninstalling XTU to test... That sounds daunting.

If neither massman's suggestion or the firewall suggestion fixes it, I might just setup a vanilla win7 for XTU in order to save time though.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I try Strunkenbold package, but after one hour DL + installation, it don't solve the problem...

I switch to w8 :(, XTU installation done, but need FW2.0 and 3.5, and to install this you need, open your eyes, fw2.0 and 3.5.... so you can't execute installation cause you need it to install it. It's looks like "no keybaord, please hit F1" :)

Now I have to find Ethernet driver to make update for FW2.0 and 3.5... 4 hours to run a software, what a pity

I try Strunkenbold package, but after one hour DL + installation, it don't solve the problem...

I switch to w8 :(, XTU installation done, but need FW2.0 and 3.5, and to install this you need, open your eyes, fw2.0 and 3.5.... so you can't execute installation cause you need it to install it. It's looks like "no keybaord, please hit F1" :)

Now I have to find Ethernet driver to make update for FW2.0 and 3.5... 4 hours to run a software, what a pity

on 8.1 preview, .net 2.0 and 3.5 are disabled. There is a way to enable them if you have the disk. I never tried it on w8, but I tried this method successfully on w8.1 and ran xtu. I could not get it to run on w7 though.

If you cannot connect to the Internet, you can enable the .NET Framework 3.5 by using the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) command-line tool and specifying the installation media (ISO image or DVD) you installed Windows 8 from.

In Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012, open a Command Prompt window with administrative credentials (that is, choose Run as administrator).

To install the .NET Framework 3.5 from installation media located in the D:\sources\sxs directory, use the following command:

DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All /LimitAccess /Source:d:\sources\sxs

where:

/Online targets the operating system you're running (instead of an offline Windows image).

/Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 specifies that you want to enable the .NET Framework 3.5.

/All enables all parent features of the .NET Framework 3.5.

/LimitAccess prevents DISM from contacting Windows Update.

/Source specifies the location of the files needed to restore the feature (in this example, the D:\sources\sxs directory).

It's just not as easy if there's no network connection. Install your benching OS, and forget you need network for .net 3.5, and it's a pain in the ass.

Also, trying to install .net 3.5 on Win 8 from the deploy package is a no go from what I can tell. You get the same message as when you try to run something that requires .net 3.5 :eek:

Probably including .net 3.5 in your unattended Win 8 install would be the way to go if you're benching XTU a lot.

Edited by sno

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...