HWBOT Community Forums

MSI GTX 780 Lightning @ LN2 preview

Xtreme Addict

Got my MOA sample and finally I had time to test it on LN2!

780L2.jpg

780L3.jpg

780L4.jpg

First impression - box is huge.

780L5.jpg

780L6.jpg

Nice set of accessories, what we overclockers need - LN2 mosfet heatsink + screws and voltage measurement probes

780L7.jpg

780L8.jpg

780L9.jpg

780L13.jpg

780L14.jpg

Naked pictures!

780L15.jpg

780L16.jpg

780L18.jpg

780L19.jpg

780L21.jpg

780L29.jpg

Elpida GDDR5 memories

780L20.jpg

IChill controller, you can see 3 blank points in the row, it's the place to solder pins in order to plug Elmor's Voltage Controller to have direct control from IChill... but no need. We have Afterburner Extreme!

780L24.jpg

PCB design is very nice. 3 strong phases for DRAM (this is Military Class indeed!) and 16 phases for GPU. I wish Titan on this PCB!

780L29.jpg

780L31.jpg

780L32.jpg

780L34.jpg

780L36.jpg

Time for LN2 preparation - I decided to do my own coating with plastic spray:

780L38.jpg

780L40.jpg

780L41.jpg

780L42.jpg

LN2 photo and result

780L1.jpg

780L.png

It's not my max, I can clock much more, GPU is going crazy, but it's my MOA card so let's leave some mystery here ;)

VGPU - 1.5v

VMEM - 1.6v

VPLL (AUX) - 1.05v

-120*C benching temperature, no CB in idle/2D

-96*C CBB (after full shutdown)

Final thoughts:

This card after 3 hours of benching was still in great shape. No problems, not tired from cold, rock stable, still clocking high. It's better in those terms from old Lightnings, also LN2 mosfet heatsink is a very nice gift for us. We don't need any vmods, design is good and we need only LN2 bios + Afterburner Extreme. Tested vgpu up to 1.65v without any problems, no OCP, no OVP so far. Design is very good and makes GPU fly very high. I have no problems with black screen or anything. Very easy card to play with! Memories don't scale with voltage as Samsungs, they catch CB faster than GPU (but for 780/Titan optimal temperature is -100*C up to -120*C so this isn't problem). I hope that soon we will get some finetuned BIOS with memory timings or see some batches with Samsungs memories, and then this card will be perfect.

Edited by Xtreme Addict

• 3 weeks later...

Today first tests with my GTX 780...

Xtreme Adict... you got a cherry...

My card can not scale memory... 1700 Mhz almost limit.

Also... GPU can not go more than 1711 3DMark11.

Will not spend time with this card on MOA... will take the other and cross my firgers to be similar to yours.

Easy card to bench... nice look... and no problems with the card... but the is not a golden sample.

What is the ASIC Quality % on your Card Ronaldo?

Also, MSI is giving us the 780 Lightning with Samsung IC on the arena, right? Might as well use those from the start.

I'm taking office leave since this Wednesday (10/7) to start my MOA preparation, let's see how far can I push those GPU clocks on my MOA Card :)

Edited by Lucky_n00b