HWBOT Community Forums

Super Pi mod 1.5 XS on very old machines

WoOx3r[Pt]

hi there, i didn't posted scores for a very long time and recently i found some very old hardware when i was doing some ''extensive cleaning'' and some of it was working so i thought - i didn't posted scores for a long time and i'm feeling like benching something.

the problem is that the super pi submissions (for an example) require the screenshot with the most recent cpu-z and super pi mod 1.5 xs and a validation checksum generated by cpu-z and:

OS's of the type windows 9x don't run the super pi mod 1.5 xs correctly but the most recent cpu-z has a special version just for those systems

OS's of the type windows nt (prior to XP) run super pi mod 1.5 xs correctly but cpu-z doesn't have a version that works correctly on this kind of OS

that old hardware will not be able to install xp or any other OS that is beyond that because its missing the cmpxchg8b instruction on the cpu

i found submissions that weren't invalidated that were made after the rules changed where:

people use old versions of NT, super pi mod 1.5xs, everest or chkcpu or old versions of cpu-z or:

OS's of the type windows 9x, with old versions of super pi, chkcpu or old versions of cpu or recent versions of cpu-z.

that kind of submissions generally have a small text explaining why the person who submitted had to do things that way

how should i do it to comply the best i can with the hwbot regulations? windows9x + recent cpu-z + old super pi OR old windows nt + old cpu-z + recent super pi?

• Crew

What exactly hardware is the discussion about? Socket 3?

The rules don't require the most recent CPU-Z, they require and adequate one. If it's hardware like s478, there's no need to use the one that has added support for Gulftowns. This is in general. Of course, you should try to use the more recent.

So the answer to your question will be winNT + old CPU-Z + recent Super pi. And Chkcpu would be nice - it's more informative with those old systems. A photo added would be best, because software can't differ some models.

This is my opinion :)

thanks for answering and i believe you answered all my questions.

we are really talking about socket 3 but it could be an older socket, like the ones used by 386 because with an old windows nt i believe they can run super pi mod 1.5 xs, i think i have one around here and if i have enough working parts to assemble it maybe i will post a super pi result, but it's going to take a while i guess... xD

i can't even complete a 16k super pi mod 1.5 xs run on the 486 with windows 95 and it passes memtest86+ and prime95 with flying colours. on windows nt 3.5 it does the 1 mb run with no problems, this is pretty weird, and i know that all the jumpers and connections are fine so something may be causing the stability issues on windows 9x but the only thing that i suspect is the mainboard because when i was testing super pi runs on windows 9x i swapped all the parts one by one to see if any of it was causing the problem and none of it was, too bad i only have this mainboard to play with.

Edited by WoOx3r[Pt]

• Crew
Super pi 1.5XS doesn't work on Win95. Or I can say that I couldn't make it work :)

yeah, the super pi mod versions doesn't work on 95/98 because the OS has a problem with the 3 decimals. i think there's some "feature" needed to calculate the decimal didigts and win 95/98 lack them, so it always crashes.

for super pi mod you seem to have a win nt based OS. win nt 4.0 is the oldest i ever got working.

i thought super pi mod 1.5 xs was a problem in all windows 9x based OS's because on 98SE and ME (yes i installed it on the computer that i'm talking about and the thing even connected to the internet with no problems and i browsed with it for a while, lots of disk swap though, because i only have 16mb of memory) and it had an error like it did on 95 but if you say that it runs fine on 9x OS's except windows 95, i believe it, so i figure my m/b probably isn't really working very good, i will try to spot any damaged stuff and fix it because i'm not feeling like buying 486 stuff at the moment.

the answer you are talking about wasn't for you, was for turrican, sorry if i didn't specified who i was talking to and if i offended you in any way

i didn't said you did said such thing, i'm not arguing with you or trying to prove a point here, i'm trying to get informed by people that know what they are talking about, like you, turrican (those who answered) and many many others here on hwbot, if i wanted to pick a ''fight'' i would bring this up on forums where people don't know nothing about it and think they do

Edited by WoOx3r[Pt]

• Crew

I didn't even think you were offensive :)

I just said that the words about Super pi 1.5XS not working on Win95 shouldn't make you think it will work on other win9x. Turrican just mentioned one case, and didn't mention the general rule.

You'll have to try hard to make me think that you're offensive, don't be afraid about that :D

And again - I'm just kidding, I don't mean you really need to check this.

So there's nothing to forgive as you can see.

I didn't even think you were offensive :)

I just said that the words about Super pi 1.5XS not working on Win95 shouldn't make you think it will work on other win9x. Turrican just mentioned one case, and didn't mention the general rule.

You'll have to try hard to make me think that you're offensive, don't be afraid about that :D

And again - I'm just kidding, I don't mean you really need to check this.

So there's nothing to forgive as you can see.

i will check if win98 runs super pi mod 1.5 xs because the latest version of cpu-z have a windows 98 version and having the two recent programs running on an old OS would simplify things.

and about the message i wrote for turrican that you thought that was for you (i re-read it so i could understand the source of all this confusion that i provoked), i was simply asking to turrican if he could make or support the claim i made about the super pi running on 9x versions of windows other than 95 and the reason for that was that i saw on some download websites that they say its compatible to windows 98 and me (9x family excluding 95 and older than 95), i admit that i didn't made it clear that it was a question and not an assumption, i believe that was influenced by my first language where we can omit many things on a phrase for many reasons, i know that some things when writing in english for everyone to understand can't be done, but sometimes i mess up because i write things as they come out, better to re-start the conversations from here and to avoid misdirecting my messages i will quote from now on, i didn't wrote on any forum for 2 years or so and it looks like i forgot some ground rules xD. thank you for being so helpful (turrican and antinomy)

just another question, do you guys know how we can contact the hwbot crew to add a processor to the list? once i contacted about putting the k6-2+ 570 because i have one (unfortunately i never posted the scores, because after requesting to add the cpu to the list i spent many time without internet and time to bench) and now i can't seem to find how to do that, hwbot is different now too, new features, new benches, new options here and there, the only thing that got worse was the design/look of the site, in my opinion, because i think the old one was prettier.

• Crew

i can add cpus to the database. you just need to make a "ticket" in the helpcenter and add a cpu-z link witth the spcs. ;)

http://hwbot.org/forum/helpcenter.php

would be nice if you could get it running on win 98. alltought i installed the latest (unoffical) service packs and kernelex mods, i never got it fully working. it crashes during the run. i tried really hard, but maybe you find something so it works. :)

never tried win me tough, only win 95 and 98 for super pi mod.

Edited by Turrican

i can add cpus to the database. you just need to make a "ticket" in the helpcenter and add a cpu-z link witth the spcs. ;)

http://hwbot.org/forum/helpcenter.php

would be nice if you could get it running on win 98. alltought i installed the latest (unoffical) service packs and kernelex mods, i never got it fully working. it crashes during the run. i tried really hard, but maybe you find something so it works. :)

never tried win me tough, only win 95 and 98 for super pi mod.

i tried windows me and it's hopeless, maybe with some updates it will do but i wouldn't hold my breath on it, windows 9x family for this version of superpi is no good. too bad because it's simpler to set up the 9x family versions of windows than the nt ones (excluding windows xp and those above it)

• Crew
I m also interested in this (I have some older hardware that I would like to benchmark).

Would it be possible to somehow trick superpi to use a different version of whatever library that causes that crashes in win9x?

i don't think this will be possible without modifing super pi.exe itself which is not allowed of course.

the "original" super pi (without the decimal digits) can be used, but you always have to enter your result with xx.999 seconds.

so if you get, for example, 25 seconds on a run with the orignal super pi you have to enter 25.999 when submitting the result, because you can't tell if your result is 25 seconds flat or 25.999. ;)

i don't think this will be possible without modifing super pi.exe itself which is not allowed of course.

the "original" super pi (without the decimal digits) can be used, but you always have to enter your result with xx.999 seconds.

so if you get, for example, 25 seconds on a run with the orignal super pi you have to enter 25.999 when submitting the result, because you can't tell if your result is 25 seconds flat or 25.999. ;)

if someone can't run nt 4.0 because of hardware limitations (a 386 maybe, never tried but i will) that's a good thing to do but if the person has the hardware to intall nt 4.0 and run the updated version of superpi it should definitely do it because that way isn't unfair at any level. i'm benching a 486 dx2-66 right now with windows nt 4.0 and a 16mb memory stick (a bit small for this OS) just to be able to run the super pi 1.5, i dont know if this version of superpi is slower or faster but it's just ''cleaner'' to the regulations and to the other members this way.

what software do you use to identify the cpu in windows 4.0? i'm having some problems finding an accurate tool to identify and display my cpu information

I m also interested in this (I have some older hardware that I would like to benchmark).

Would it be possible to somehow trick superpi to use a different version of whatever library that causes that crashes in win9x?

if you have a 486 you can easily put it running windows nt4.0 and then you can bench with superpi mod 1.5 xs. nt 4.0 it's pretty lightweight (not enough for me though, unfortunately, i have only a crappy 16mb ram, a crappy 400mb harddisk, a crappy 128k graphic card, and a crappy mainboard that doesn't have a single IDE connector and only accepts ISA cards, if the mainboard didn't had some settings to play with i wouldn't even start benching with it, because this isn't a record breaking rig for sure xD)

• Crew

I suggest we use 1.5XS for 486 as there is a way to run it. I don't know whether CPU-Z runs on NT4.0 but anyway it doesn't show almost any info. So use chkcpu and make a photo of the CPU (to clear things out). This is what I think of this.

As for 386 - as somebody will be able to run such a system - we'll see.