HWBOT Community Forums

ADATA XPG V2 2800C12 Experience (4DIMMs/2DIMMs/1DIMM)

sin0822

j25k.jpg

Today we venture into some memory, the ADATA 2800C12 MFR kit. This is my first experience with MFR, and I have read all the editorials on MFR, and this is my take. I have always been the type of overclocker who enjoys getting high validations, but I also understand the need for efficiency especially when it comes to benchmarks. I will take a look at this kit, and push it on air and see how far we can get it in single DIMM, 2 DIMM, and 4 DIMM configurations. I also will do efficiency comparisons with 2DIMMs V 4DIMMs for those interested, which should take care of some of the lack of efficiency that comes from single sided kits.

First off I will take a look at the kit:

5m53.jpg

The gold heatspreaders are actually a darker shade of gold which is easier to match with a yellow/gold motherboard, however the contrast of gold and green is also pretty neat.

f0m6.jpg

The PCB is a nice black color and the PCB has 2oz of copper which means the memory module can cool its chips better than 1oz copper PCBs.

dc6s.jpg

The memory is single sided and held on by tape, which is better for removing the heat-spreaders if one wants to use LN2.

46km.jpg

Here is an upclose of the sticker. The timings are pretty loose and in this review I will try to use the same cas latency when possible.

nhbl.jpg

I used the Z87X-OC with BIOS B03, if you use this board please only use BIOS X08 or B03 for Hynix overclocking. X08 should yield better results.

First I just loaded XMP and ran it with 2 DIMMs:

nma2.png

Then I tossed in two other sticks and ran superpi again with 4 DIMMs to see if I could shave off a few milliseconds.

vvdh.png

I won about 2.2seconds out of 4 minutes, so not much, but as you can see there is a small benefit to running 4 DIMMs rather than 2DIMMs stemming from the fact that MFR is single sided.

Now for 3000mhz at T1 2DIMMs:

kpxg.png

4DIMMs.

wr68.png

About 1 second gained, so not so much, but still a slight difference.

The highest I could run superpi 1M with 2 DIMMs was at 3400mhz:

iqfz.png

Cas of 13, VDIMM of 1.8v.

With 4 DIMMs and SPI 1M I was able to do 3200mhz using the same 1.8v.

ll2p.png

Max Validations:

For max validation of 4 DIMMs I still only used 1.8v, I was able to do 3335mhz@4DIMMs which is pretty cool for air.

uuru.png

Now moving to 3462mhz@2DIMMs same 1.8v:

w42s.png

Here we have a 3581mhz@1DIMM which is not bad at all for 1.8v on air for MFR

w34a.png

These sticks hold their own, even rated at 2800C12, they can do 3000C12/T1. If you are in the market, and an overclocker who likes to see how high they can get memory speed on the Z87/X79 platforms, then this MFR kit isn’t too shabby. I will say though, for what MFR lacks in tight timings and efficiency, it does make up for in easy fun. It wasn't hard to get this memory to these speeds, I just set vDIMM, cas to 13, command rate to T1 or T2 and let the board pick all the other timings. Certain dividers go higher than others 26.66x might not be as effective as 26.00x or 28.00x. With more BCLK some dividers might have better stability. If you are in the market for MFR and have the money to spend then this is a good kit to look into.