HWBOT Community Forums

Turbo modes ...

This topic came up at the last staff meeting: should we set the stock frequency of a CPU to the stock rating or the turbo rating of this CPU? I'm not against the idea of doing this ... after all, at stock settings the turbo mode will be enabled anyway.

I vote 'set turbo mode as stock frequency'.

What frequency you see on the box of the CPU?

What frequency you see in CPUZ (Specification field)?

What frequency CPU working when all cores/threads 100% loaded (on motherboards that not support fixed CPU multi for Turbo Boost)?

The stock rating, not the turbo rating.

You could also have two stock speeds, separated with a "/" or something...

At least four:

1. Stock speed

2. Turbo with only 1 core enabled

3. Turbo with only 2 cores enabled

4. Turbo with 3 or more cores enabled

• Crew
What frequency CPU working when all cores/threads 100% loaded (on motherboards that not support fixed CPU multi for Turbo Boost)?
So if we take a Prescott-2M or Smithfield which overheat on a box cooler under 100% load (like S&M) and thus throttle via TM2 to 14x multi - then it's their stock? ;)

They'll work on this frequency under load every time unless you change the cooler.

OTOH, the turboboost is just an expansion of C1E which lowers the multi at idle. This one only pumps it up under load - the same stuff. So I don't see why we have to change the definition of stock frequency because one technology was expanded. If so, we should re-define the stock speed for idle and because CPU-Z valid is made in idle, we should count it from the low-speed mode :D

The same logic.

• Crew

The manufacturer claims 2.8GHz as stock frequency. Do we agree with the manufacturer:

The manufacturer warrants that this CPU will be capable of running 3.4GHz
The manufacturer claims 2.8GHz as stock frequency.
or not? :)

I can warranty that it's capable of running at 3,5GHz and I say it's stock is 2,93.

Not even taking stuff like overclocked samples of videocards in account ;)

• Crew
The processor supports ACPI P-States. A new feature is that the P0 ACPI state will be a

request for Intel Turbo Boost Technology. This technology opportunistically and

automatically allows the processor to run faster than its marked frequency if the

processor is operating below power, thermal, and current specifications.

That's what I didn't want to - to quote the datasheet :)

Personally, I think that HWBot should work on securing the benchmarks from cheating before they start chasing after the golden samples.

How many golden 2d CPUs are actually creative cheats? I bet there are a few, at least.

It seems to me that the proposed system makes it way more profitable to cheat, and no easier to prevent cheating at all.

• Crew

I'll definetly not agree to put he 'turbo mode' as the official frequency, some turbo, only run on a few core, not all of them at the same time.. then to get absurd why not putting a 2.8Ghz quad creo with only 2 core and 1 core with turbo @ 3.4 ? what is taht ? quad / dual / 2.8 / 3.4 ? :)

We should stay by the 'official stock frequencies' and if you want to display turbo mode, could be interesting to do so in the spec , or as an extra detail.