HWBOT Community Forums

Half baked TCCDs (Old DDR1)

Hello guys,

I have 2 couples of ddr equipped with samsung TCCD chips (2x512 Mushkin XP4400 and 2x512 G.Skill 3200FX) that i've used for many years in my main pc.

Now, all of 'em still works, but thay have lost the CL2.5 and 3 (due to electromigration probably) and even if they work quite decently cas2 (mushkins can do 255-260mhz 2-3-3-5) i was wondering:there is something i can do to try to resuscitate the higher cas?

Here's a vintage (almost 10 years old lol) screen of what the mushkin were capable of :)

Heard of the freezer trick? Just wrapping them in some basic protection and let them cool off in a freezer for like 24 h. I don't know if it's only a myth, but some people reported that it brought back dead or degraded sticks.

The opposite would be to bake them in the oven 200 Celsius 10 min. Sure it would fix any bad solder joints but I don't see how it could improve a degraded ddr chip.

These are the only two methods I'm aware of.

Thanks for the reply Calathea,

i've alredy tried the freezer trick but didn't work.

The solder joints are ok,the ram works perfectly from that point of view.I used them regularly 'till 6 months ago (cas2 obviously) without any kind of problem.

Is such a pity not being able to us 'em the way they should :(

I've tried to see the max frequency just once and they touch 398 3-5-5-X.

Sadly Hwbot didn't existed back then so i didn't save the validate/screen :(

Found another screen from 2005 i think.

315mhz 2.5-4-4-8 2.7V

did you try different platform to test them? You sure it is a sticks issue not mobo/cpu one?

Yep,tried them on DFI nf4 sli dr, sli dr expert and gigabyte ga-k8nf-9-rh with 6-7 cpus on socket 939,with p4p800,p4c800 (x2),ic7,8pe800,865pe neo2 with ~50 cpu on socket 478.

Also tried on a couple of nf2 (462) board and a bounch of processor.In no case were able to boot with cas >2.

Other random memory works fine with any cas in all the mobos so, yes, i'm pretty sure it is a memory issue. :D

Edited by Caos Wolf