View Single Post
Old 07-20-2013, 10:45
Abhorrently evil braindead kind-hearted money-driven child-hating short-sighted hardware-sharing cheating
macho nacho supreme discriminating clueless idiot boy genius with sense of humor

Send a message via MSN to Massman

Most of the MFR reviews I've seen do not make sense. So far, only Hokie's I found to be good. The others are misleading or simply outright bunnyextraction. I honestly think that this kind of hardware gives us a great insight in what review sites do things right and which do things wrong. I have a lot of respect for Techpowerup and Dave - he definitely knows his stuff and does a fair amount of testing (probably more than we know) - but the latest MFR review did not make too much sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie @ overclockers.com
Sorry G.Skill – and all the other manufacturers putting out these crazy high frequency Hynix MFR kits like Corsair, Avexir, Adata, etc – you’ve got to bring the performance to go with the MHz. Without it, your kit is dead in the water aside from those that are either really into memory overclocking (see: subset of a subset) or those that are compensating for something else.
The story with MFR is very simple: it is always slower than dirt-cheap 2400C9 kits and it can clock really high. The price is really high because it requires a lot of man hours to bin the most high-end ICs. But as far as I'm concerned, there should be a general outrage from media and "journalists" about this super-expensive products with underwhelming performance. I mean, people are outraged when the GTX Titan was launched at USD $1000, but are seemingly okay with this $400 DDR3-2400C9-like performance kits. How is that possible?!

The only argument one could make with MFR is that it can reach the highest frequency. That's it. Therefore, any kit that does not do the highest frequency should not get any award whatsoever. What makes a company stand out against the rest is when it's able to make the highest clocked kit in mass-production, something so far only G.SKILL has achieved with their 2933 and 3000 kits. They are available on Newegg. I haven't seen any other brand put up those kits in retail channels - just a small amount of samples sent out to media and journalist. A mass-production retail available DDR3-3000 kit, that is very impressive. Anything below that frequency is "nice try, but not good enough". Anything that is not available is "nice marketing, but not impressed".

Perhaps I am one of the few to be so angry about this . I just can't believe that so many media and reviewers have jumped on the MFR bandwagon pretending it's something great when it's actually a terrible product for anyone but extreme overclockers hunting for max frequency records. For anyone else, it's quite simply a bad choice!

(ps: hokie, I talked with the guys at G.SKILL about your MFR review and you gained a lot of respect in that company. Thumbs up man!)