Go Back   hwbot.org > News > HWBOT Frontpage News

HWBOT Frontpage News Official HWBOT articles and frontpage news

Reeven Extreme Cooling Cup (forum)Review

Ouch, not so positive about the pot. Anyone else tested this one already?

I originally planned to have a set of results that the pot achieved to give you guys an idea of what you might be able to hit when using a Reeven Extreme Cup, however after about an hour of testing it became very clear to me that this pot just isn't up to the task of cooling my 3570K.

I started at a very mild overclock of 5.5ghz with 1.6v and tried running wprime. I started with temperatures sitting at -130c and started running wprime 1024m. I watched temperatures continually climb from the second the bench started. 50% in and temperatures were now up to -80c and at 60% temperatures continued to climb and hit -72c before the computer crashed due to not being cold enough.

To not even be able to load at 1.6v is very bad for a pot. Typically Ivy Bridge cpu's will be benched at 1.8v+ and with as much cold as possible to achieve maximum possible performance. The Reeven couldn't even handle this CPU at 1.6v, leaving it well short of what we want from a pot when it comes to performance.

I did try running 1.8v to see if the pot could still hold temperatures at idle and was disappointed with my results there too. At 1.8v I was unable to pull the pot down to -150c with it full of LN2. A good pot would have been able to idle at -180c or lower despite the heatload.

At that point I realised no results were going to be achieved and I became concerned for my CPU with temperatures jumping around rapidly and constant crashing. Unfortunately this pot just doesn't have the performance to back itself up, and I could never recommend it.

May 2, 2012 - review - hwbot.org
Old 05-06-2012, 06:08
grunt bot

im still using a F1EE lol mine only moved 5c at full pot @ wprime 1024m 1.85v

idk if thats even good lol
Old 05-06-2012, 07:41
robo cop

Wow Gyrock I am amazed your somewhat impressed with this pot, I found pretty identical performance to JJJC, with my Ivy at 6.1 ghz this pot could not reach -160c at all even full pot.

Definately could not hold load.

Worst pot I have ever used.

Here was my review.

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh....php?t=1028249

Last edited by uncle fester; 05-06-2012 at 07:44.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:14
maintenance bot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjc View Post
3s of load and it throws my testing out the window? lol. I was seeing the pot rise by around 1c to each second when running 1024m, so a 2.4c rise in a 3 second bench still puts it pretty spot on.

If it's going to be fine for short benches then great, but I was testing for overall cooling capacity in 'worst' case scenarios. Interesting that they could pull the pot down to -180c though, so I may need to revisit that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPSFU...ature=youtu.be

I look like some of your settings are wrong.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:59
Really Xtremely Doomed

japancooling experts[with videos] and australian overclockers...sorry dinos lol
Old 05-06-2012, 09:20
grunt bot

Hi fester-san
Your review is very interesting too, as well as JJJC-san's.
I think the pots should be the same, our one is production model at least.
One thing I noticed when we benched at the first time is that the pot took very long time to boil, hesitating around -150C for 2 minutes or more and after that it eventually boiled.
We thought that this slow boiling was due to chrome plating which has smoother surface than pure copper.
But since then, the pot has become a quick boiler like other pots we have
Today our captain CAL930 tested again as you can see above.
Anyway, it's OK that your conclusion is different from ours. It's not that serious, interesting though
Old 05-06-2012, 14:48
robo cop

Hey Gyrock, I was testing in comparison to F1 Extreme, with -100c at 5.5ghz wprime 1024, when compared to F1 Extreme this pot could not hold load at all. F1 would happily pull away and drop to -180c under full load where the scythe would rapidly increase in temperature at full pot, I have a video comparison i will upload aswell.

Last edited by uncle fester; 05-06-2012 at 14:54.
Old 05-06-2012, 17:07
grunt bot

Hi Fester-san

I just imagine that the way of cooling down the pot differentiates the results, which is that our way is to continue pouring LN2 passing through boiling era without starting benching.
Once boiling up to -190C, any pots have good responsiveness, resulting in the power holding load. So, for even CPU with CB, we usually get temp down to -190C at least once before start benching to get responsiveness and to control temp.
In this way, Reeven pot worked as seen in Cal's video.

F1 EE has huge power to hold higher load, so starting benching even before boiling up can be managed, I think.

So you and JJJC-san told the facts I believe, and we told the another fact.
That's all, I think

I'm going to bed now.
Good night all