Go Back   hwbot.org > Overclocking & benchmarking > General hardware discussion

Old 08-30-2012, 21:38
construction bot

Default At what point is it considered extreme cooling

You live here

1, Computer outside on a table, air cooled, winter

2, Computer outside on table, liquid cooled (glycol added, fan on the rad), winter

3, Computer inside, outside winter air ducted through box, cooled by example 1 or 2

4, Live in warmer climate, use ac in closed environment to cool air, cooled by example 1 or 2

5, Live in warmer climate, use ac as liquid chiller

6, CPU cooled by single phase.

Some form of glycol is already present in the Corsair H series closed loop water coolers, where I live my average winter lows are Stanley’ average summer lows.

Yea I know, just get in the OC league and don’t worry about it.
Old 08-30-2012, 21:43
robo cop

Would say once you get onto a water chiller and yeah you should
Old 08-30-2012, 22:09
construction bot

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gappo View Post
After this winter season, going to make the move.
Old 08-30-2012, 22:43
Fully capable of playing games

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gappo View Post
Water is water, chilled or not.

"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you."
Old 08-30-2012, 23:39
1guy4000cups

I'm not THAT sure about this, but here is what I THINK we decided:

If a compressor is used, for example as a part of a water chiller, then it's thought if as a type of phase change unit, and therefore goes into the extreme cooling category. AC units are exceptions to that rule... I thiiiiiink They're usually just used to cool the room to decent ambients anyway, and we have to draw the line somewhere. Having an AC unit in a room is a very passive way of using it, but of course, if you can use them to get -20c air blown directly on a heatsink... it's a bit different.

We could to not have the enthusiast league at all... We can't verify all cooling solutions or prove what's correct and not, unless it's REALLY obvious. Common sense and trust are key in the enthusiast league

Quote:
Originally Posted by sno.lcn
I was just searching for some good dick cloning software, guess I was doing it wrong, got all kinds of results I wasn't expecting
Old 08-31-2012, 02:13
-deleted-

Quote:
Originally Posted by knopflerbruce View Post

If a compressor is used, for example as a part of a water chiller, then it's thought if as a type of phase change unit, and therefore goes into the extreme cooling category. AC units are exceptions to that rule... I thiiiiiink They're usually just used to cool the room to decent ambients anyway, and we have to draw the line somewhere. Having an AC unit in a room is a very passive way of using it, but of course, if you can use them to get -20c air blown directly on a heatsink... it's a bit different.

We could to not have the enthusiast league at all... We can't verify all cooling solutions or prove what's correct and not, unless it's REALLY obvious. Common sense and trust are key in the enthusiast league
Let me translate Mr.Statoil here ;-P
"compressors are bad, tec is good"

How does that work for you Knut? :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massman
I'm willing to try everything
Old 08-31-2012, 12:13
1guy4000cups

I don't know where to place TEC. Personally i feel it's extreme, but could be that we've decided otherwise before. A good tec can give temps where you need insulation to avoid condensation - that kinda speaks for itself IMO. I'd probably throw in an exception for the V10 air cooler, though

Quote:
Originally Posted by sno.lcn
I was just searching for some good dick cloning software, guess I was doing it wrong, got all kinds of results I wasn't expecting
Old 08-31-2012, 13:47
nVidia FTW!

Location: Glasgowvic, Scotistan. Great Kingdom of United Britain..

I think people using the V10 should be given 10 HWBoints out of sympathy/pity
https://twitter.com/K404ExtremeOC

I have no world records, but I have some GOLD MEDALS.

Titan has nothing to offer that is worth the price.
Old 08-31-2012, 16:51
construction bot

Quote:
Originally Posted by knopflerbruce View Post

Thanks for the answer.

I was expecting a few more comments to draw from but here goes. The first three examples are dependent upon air temperature, so would it be acceptable to assume that the medium being used to remove the heat was the deciding factor, or artificially cooled air Yes, water No.

Taking example 3 from the first post and replace the nature cooled air by creating a recycling loop with an AC unit’s evaporator(I've seen examples of this in the mid -20c), as long as new warm air was blocked from entering the cycle it would negate the need for board prep, creating the same benching environment present in the example.

Looking at this as cold clamite, warm climate.
Old 05-08-2013, 18:45
kitchen robot

Hoping someone can clarify this... if a person in the enthusiast league submits a score with tec/peltier cooling are they moved to the OC League?

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebob View Post
Moose was prolly too busy reporting others scores so he had no time to read the rules carefully...