Old 6 Days Ago
grunt bot

Fasttrack
Default Re: Get ready for HWBOT rev7

No drama here.
Not my style.
Pure mathematical thinking.

Nothing besides that.

In any case, whoever wants stays and whoever doesn't leaves.

Simple as that.

Time will tell.
Old 6 Days Ago
grunt bot

Jumper118
Talking Re: Get ready for HWBOT rev7

This concept is now being stretched
to the end of its scaling capabilities due to two primary reasons:

2) the direct submission capability of benchmark applications via our
Open API.

Translation:

XTU submission spamming broke the points system
Old 6 Days Ago
robo cop

GeorgeStorm

Just a quick thought/suggestion, whilst I like the idea of rev7 in general, and the 70% isn't outrageous (and quick look at some current 3d benchmarks show globals stop at 50-60%), what about having a min. number of scores to get globals as well, to avoid weird situations where a couple of subs (due to crazy hw such as titan v, or lhe scores that 'normal' people will never be able to catch) are miles ahead and therefore basically no one gets any globals.

So 70% and at least top 100 scores or something similar.
Old 5 Days Ago
robot overlord

Strunkenbold is on a distinguished road

First I thought this new point algorithm would be a good thing. But after I looked over at uat in some of the rankings I see that the hard cap of 70% dont work and I can just hope that you guys stop using it at least not for the hardware ranking.

1. New technology makes old effort worth nothing

We see that already with every new CPU generation impacting GPU scores. At the moment you just loose points. In rev7 there is the threat that you get no longer points at all because you fell under the 70% cliff.

2. Motivation is lost to submit scores that are not TOP 3

Seems like submitting scores now require some strategy. Its sort of sandbagging v2.0. Lets say we have new ranking because of new hardware or benchmark so its empty. You first submission needs to be bad, so you attract other benchers to feed the ranking with scores. After some time you come around with with your LN2 score. You get a lot of points for your first place but all other benchers with Air or Water scores now get nothing. It doesn't feel right that your score profit from a lot of users but those users get basically punished from your score.
That hurt newbies and casual benchers.

I have to express again that I really really dont like this "69% your score is worth nothing" feature. You can basically now play the bad man and kill points for a lot of users. It cant be right that lets say 10 people received points in the ranking and after you submitted youre 130% score only 3 people including you have points.

Aleslammer (5 Days Ago), Fasttrack (5 Days Ago), Frito (4 Days Ago), I.nfraR.ed (5 Days Ago), jab383 (5 Days Ago), kimandsally (5 Days Ago), mr.paco (4 Days Ago), Mr.Scott (5 Days Ago), Rauf (5 Days Ago)
Old 5 Days Ago
grunt bot

Fasttrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strunkenbold View Post
First I thought this new point algorithm would be a good thing. But after I looked over at uat in some of the rankings I see that the hard cap of 70% dont work and I can just hope that you guys stop using it at least not for the hardware ranking.

1. New technology makes old effort worth nothing

We see that already with every new CPU generation impacting GPU scores. At the moment you just loose points. In rev7 there is the threat that you get no longer points at all because you fell under the 70% cliff.

2. Motivation is lost to submit scores that are not TOP 3

Seems like submitting scores now require some strategy. Its sort of sandbagging v2.0. Lets say we have new ranking because of new hardware or benchmark so its empty. You first submission needs to be bad, so you attract other benchers to feed the ranking with scores. After some time you come around with with your LN2 score. You get a lot of points for your first place but all other benchers with Air or Water scores now get nothing. It doesn't feel right that your score profit from a lot of users but those users get basically punished from your score.
That hurt newbies and casual benchers.

I have to express again that I really really dont like this "69% your score is worth nothing" feature. You can basically now play the bad man and kill points for a lot of users. It cant be right that lets say 10 people received points in the ranking and after you submitted youre 130% score only 3 people including you have points.

THAT sir, is EXACTLY what I said.
No future for anyone, except 40-50 Very High End benchers on LN2.

Real shame if this goes on
Old 5 Days Ago
robo cop

Alan_Alberino
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_Alberino

I don't have so much problem, but things like this aren't good for newcomers, they have to fill 40 HW slots if they want to compete in the league that says their country place, and with this new system getting those HW points won't be easy at all for them... Also submitting lot of scores and getting no points at all will be frustrating for them and many will probably leave.

I would say reduce it to 50%, there are very few cases that LN2 scores is double than a decent air overclocked score, so people will get low points but not cero...

Facebook page: Alan_Alberino OC

Last edited by Alan_Alberino; 5 Days Ago at 17:22.
Old 5 Days Ago
kitchen robot

jab383

Scoring on the basis of percent of top score is a good step beyond the impact on server load. I have enjoyed that basis in a few recent contests. The effect of any score improvement giving a point increase is good incentive to keep learning.

Including the top 40 hardware points in league standing is an improvement in my opinion.

I like that league standings include older hardware even though world ranking does not. There is still some value and incentive to the GTX 580 I've been benching with dry ice to a) learn about sub-zero cooling, and b) score some hardware points. I think such incentives are important to someone with this much to learn.

As to the anomalies in the examples posted above, there have always been difficulties with lightly populated benchmarks or hardware items. An adjustment of max points factor may be in order for some of these. At least the system has factors that can be adjusted.

There has been a repeating anomaly with every Titan version that lasts until the xx80ti comes out, then repeats with the next generation. It's unfortunate that this effect encourages those who are factory sponsored or can afford the great expense and comes at the expense of those whose points are reduced or fall off the 70% cliff. The effect is not encouraging to the developing or casual overclocker.
Old 5 Days Ago
robot overlord

Gunslinger has a spectacular aura aboutGunslinger has a spectacular aura aboutGunslinger has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Gunslinger

R.I.P. HWBot
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gunslinger For This Useful Post:
Alan_Alberino (5 Days Ago), Fasttrack (5 Days Ago), macsbeach98 (4 Days Ago), Mr.Scott (5 Days Ago)
Old 5 Days Ago
robot overlord

I.nfraR.ed

Longer the bench - greater the gaps between players. Especially on older gen hardware where most people don't own the parts anymore or there are not many extreme results (or even there are, but much older pots or single stages). Some new player comes with nice new shiny CPU that boosts his score in certain benchmarks and boom - easily invalidates most of the scores.

Strunkenbold's example would be also a common thing for even older classic hardware, I think.

Last edited by I.nfraR.ed; 5 Days Ago at 20:31.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I.nfraR.ed For This Useful Post:
Aleslammer (5 Days Ago), Mr.Scott (5 Days Ago)
Old 5 Days Ago
HWBOT Forum Administrators

richba5tard has disabled reputation

What would be an appropriate percentage for cutoff according to you, strunkenbold?