Go Back   HWBOT forum > Advanced overclocking > Extreme overclocking

Extreme overclocking Refill your dewar here.

Old 08-25-2017
construction bot

unityofsaints
Default Mobo bootloop after vaseline insulation

Hi,

I did my first DICE session rescently on a Z97 SOC Force and initially did a quick CPU frequency test uninsulated just to check everything worked. It worked but predictably stopped booting after ~30 mins.
I dried the board and it booted on air. Then I proceeded to insulate it with vaseline - this is where it stopped posting, in fact it cuts out so early that I don't even get a post code. I tried with two good CPUs and multiple RAM sticks and it still doesn't work - what's the best way to remove the vaseline completely? Buildzoid says dishwasher is the way to go but I just want to be 100% before messing any more with this board that isn't easy to get in this part of the world.
Old 08-25-2017
Wimpzilla

Default Re: Mobo bootloop after vaseline insulation

Hello,

I would tend to have same opinion as him. I was too afraid that water/soap could damage components, but at the end, if you wash carefully and then dry carefully there should be no problem.
The crucial point is completely carefully dry the mb with an air dryer/gun, eating the whole board without damaging plastics parts.
Then brush the board checking carefully if any salt deposits built up anywhere.
The best would be to wash the board with distilled water before drying it, to be sure to remove any salt/soap.
Old 08-25-2017
grunt bot

ozzie is an unknown quantity at this point

ive had vaseline in the socket as well, but never had it stop it from booting, ive even put vaseline in the socket once with no booting issues, and being in australia you know the issue we have with colder temps aginst the ambient temp and the condensation that happens at times, maybe there was some condensation from the dice still lying around stopping it from booting, i use methylated spirits as is disipates moisture and dries pretty quickly and soft bristle brush to clean it off, it takes a little time but does dilute the vaseline and im careful to brush the pins if its an intel socket the way the pins lie as in some intel sockets they change their lie direction, once i can see the metho stay its clear appearance i use a heat gun to dry or it can be left in the direct sun for a few days to make sure its completely dry, i do the same method if no vaseline if i get condensation anywhere, now i use closed foam insulation pads cut to size for the socket and outer socket area and rarely have a condensation issue
Old 08-26-2017
robo cop

Noxinite

Did you vas around the southbridge?
Old 08-28-2017
construction bot

unityofsaints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxinite View Post
Did you vas around the southbridge?
Nope, just the little square-ish area between VRM, memory slots and the first PCI-E slot.
Old 08-28-2017
construction bot

unityofsaints

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
ive had vaseline in the socket as well, but never had it stop it from booting, ive even put vaseline in the socket once with no booting issues, and being in australia you know the issue we have with colder temps aginst the ambient temp and the condensation that happens at times, maybe there was some condensation from the dice still lying around stopping it from booting, i use methylated spirits as is disipates moisture and dries pretty quickly and soft bristle brush to clean it off, it takes a little time but does dilute the vaseline and im careful to brush the pins if its an intel socket the way the pins lie as in some intel sockets they change their lie direction, once i can see the metho stay its clear appearance i use a heat gun to dry or it can be left in the direct sun for a few days to make sure its completely dry, i do the same method if no vaseline if i get condensation anywhere, now i use closed foam insulation pads cut to size for the socket and outer socket area and rarely have a condensation issue
I kept the CPU in the socket while I was insulating it, I thought that should keep the vaseline out of the socket? I dried it overnight so it's I'm pretty sure it's the vaseline causing the issues rather than lingering condensation from the DICE session. I thought vaseline is nonconductive but maybe brushing all the way up to the 8-pin connector is problematic?
Old 08-28-2017
grunt bot

Quote:
Originally Posted by unityofsaints View Post
I kept the CPU in the socket while I was insulating it, I thought that should keep the vaseline out of the socket? I dried it overnight so it's I'm pretty sure it's the vaseline causing the issues rather than lingering condensation from the DICE session. I thought vaseline is nonconductive but maybe brushing all the way up to the 8-pin connector is problematic?
it is non conductive, ive never had a problem with it ever, i use vaso on my foam pads always and it does leak into the socket but never caused a boot loop prob ,and have filled the socket with vaso prior to the foam pads used now, from what ive found boot loop is cpu socket condensation , bad ram, gpu issue, or motherboard issue, im guessin theres condensation somewhere, maybe a cpu not seated and making contact properly, this sort of thing is a trial and error , put it in the sun for a week, with remove the battery and clr cmos jumper on then retry it is what id try ,
Old 08-28-2017
construction bot

barbonenet

vaseline, silicon grease, ptfe greas and dielettric grease are all a bit conductive!!!! i used to insulate board and vga with them....but more then ones i killed those hardware without even using ln2.

carefull
Old 08-28-2017
grunt bot

i didnt know that barbo, i dont know about the others ive never used them, but always thought vaso wasnt conductive, that cans my theory then,
Old 08-29-2017
construction bot

barbonenet

I thought it wasnt conductive for long time....lots of "died hardware" after being cleaned from vaseline or grease start working again.

It seems weird, but one time i read something on a datasheet of a dielettric grease that make me think about it seriously.....
From that time, i will never use again those stuff on my hardware.....

Im gonna search it.... Also i heard that Vince notice that and he doesnt use anymore vaselline as well....

Check on XA 1080ti thread, he said that on that vga vaselline insulation works fine.....

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Ultimate GTX 980 Ti Matrix Platinum Air/LN2 Overclocking Guide by Xtreme Addict

http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=169488

search for "vaseline"

NEVER USE VASELINE,GREASE, DIELETTRIC GREASE or oily stuff......cover your Hardware with something DRY!

remember that we buy the stuff....if you get free VGA of about 1500Dollar, u can try if Vaseline is ok or not.......if u buy them, u CANNOT try if.....

Last edited by barbonenet; 08-29-2017 at 00:27.
The Following User Says Thank You to barbonenet For This Useful Post:
unityofsaints (08-29-2017)