Go Back   HWBOT forum > Overclocking & benchmarking > Intel CPU Overclocking > X58A-OC Owners Club

X58A-OC Owners Club Meet and greet other proud owners of GIGABYTE's X58A-OC mainboard

Old 09-25-2014
TheMadDutchDude

Default Is this X58A-OC a dud?

Hey guys,

Long story short, ObscureParadox and I had a benching session at my house last year and we decided to give this board a blast with a 920 D0. In the end, we gave up with it as no amount of voltage could get it to stabilise at anything over 220 BCLK. 221 would cause hanging and blue screens if the system caught it quick enough.

I boot at 210 - 215 BCLK and use the buttons to raise the BCLK 1MHz at a time. Lowering the multi doesn't help, nor does changing the gearing (so it only goes up by 0.3MHz a time).

We thought it was down to a duff chip, which is possible, but now it is happening again. I've got another 920 D0 here, which is rock solid at 220 BCLK with 1.4 volts (probably less), but as soon as I set it to 221 BCLK, it doesn't take long for it to lock up. I can't even get it to POST if I try to boot at 221, it hangs on a C1 error.

Is there something we are missing here or is this just an unlucky board? It does seem to be a board issue as it can't be two chips that stop at the exact, literally identical frequency.

Other important bits:

The BIOS it's running is F5e.
The RAM is Corsair Dominator GT 3x2GB 2000MHz 8-9-8 (PSC) @1:8

We absolutely blasted the other CPU with volts to see if it would play ball but sadly, not even close to being any better.

Please, if anyone has any ideas what could be wrong here, let us know!

Cheers.
Old 09-25-2014
HWBot Staff & Forums Administrator

der8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to der8auer

You need high PCIe clocks to run a high bclk. Also did you run on cold?

From my experience most chips should do 240-250 bclk at least on cold.
Old 09-25-2014
TheMadDutchDude

Hey Roman,

How high a PCIe frequency are we talking? I tried 105MHz but it didn't improve the BCLK ability whatsoever. Perhaps 110+ would do the trick?

The first chip was on dry ice @ -70 and this one is under phase @ -40 (ish).
Old 09-25-2014
HWBot Staff & Forums Administrator

der8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to der8auer

You need as much as possible. Talking about 120+
Old 09-25-2014
TheMadDutchDude

Oh God damn! I've never played with PCIE frequency before so it's a new area for me.

I'll have a play again later on.

Will I need to raise the PCIE voltages as well or should they be okay at stock? I'm guessing they need a boosting.
Old 09-25-2014
HWBOT Kazakhstan Representative

TerraRaptor is on a distinguished road

I have quite small experience with 1366 but remember high bclk required bclk slow mode enabled. Can't this be an issue?
Old 09-25-2014
TheMadDutchDude

I tried enabling that but it didn't help. I think the PCIE frequency may be at fault here. I'll have a play later and let you know the results.
Old 09-25-2014
robo cop

zzolio

105pcie is enough for 220blck
Old 09-25-2014
TheMadDutchDude

Yeah. It can do that on 100. I need more than 220.
Old 09-25-2014
transformer

suzuki

Be carefull with pci-e frequency especially if you are using ssd,over 115 you can kill it.
High pci-e ,over 115 is used with IDE drives.
if you are planing to use over 115 disable all usb and soundcard ,i mean the onboard things, because they may be broken afterwards.