Go Back   HWBOT forum > News > HWBOT Frontpage News

HWBOT Frontpage News Official HWBOT articles and frontpage news

Hardware Asylum, Podcast #82a: Rants on Content Piracy, External GPUs and Windows 7

Dennis Garcia and Darren McCain are back again this week with another chat about all things tech related. Episode 82a includes a few choice topics including issues of piracy in relation to podcasting, external GPU and the increasing decline of Windows 7 as a genuine OS option. Here?s an excerpt from the show notes:

Podcast Piracy - Content piracy has always been an issue in the Hardware Review world. I have even seen instances where someone lifted an entire review including the images so it could be reposted and claimed as original content. Other sites have been known to take a review press release and ?re-write? it as a single page. This page is full of SEO keywords and written such that readers finding the article will not know where it came from. They call this content farming and while it isn?t copyright infringement, due to how the articles were written, it is prevalent enough that google stepped in an attempt punish sites that did that.

External GPUs - Gaming in the Dorm - There are all kinds of computer users out there. Some are well versed in the ways of the hardware force while others, not so much. Some folks have unlimited resources while others might have limited budgets, limited space, limited time and might even have significant others. Whatever the limitation it shouldn?t detract from your ability to use a computer however you want. In this segment Dennis and Darren talk about external GPUs and how these devices can be used to expand the usability of certain systems in certain situations despite creating their own limitations in the process.

Windows 7 is on the Decline - Who would have thought that one of the most usable and game friendly operating systems would be on the decline. Yes, the stats are in Windows 7 finally dropped below 50% in total market share.

Find the latest Episode 82a podcast from Hardware Asylum here.

Dec 29, 2017 - article - hardwareasylum.com
Old 1 Day Ago
HWBOT Forum Administrators

richba5tard has disabled reputation
Default Re: Get ready for HWBOT rev7

Installation of rev7 will be this Wednesday round 10:00 CEST. It will take approx 1 hour for database migration, after which hwbot will be available again, but recalculating +2 million submissions might take up to 24hours.
Alan_Alberino (19 Hours Ago), Hyperhorn (13 Hours Ago), jab383 (16 Hours Ago), ksateaaa23 (13 Hours Ago), No1Spank (1 Day Ago), Noxinite (1 Day Ago), pablocs08 (17 Hours Ago), unityofsaints (5 Hours Ago), websmile (23 Hours Ago), yosarianilives (18 Hours Ago)
Old 18 Hours Ago
robo cop

Alan_Alberino
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_Alberino

Quote:
Originally Posted by richba5tard View Post
Installation of rev7 will be this Wednesday round 10:00 CEST. It will take approx 1 hour for database migration, after which hwbot will be available again, but recalculating +2 million submissions might take up to 24hours.
Nice... Can you confirm that GL are cutting at 50% of top score and HW at 75% score at UAT? Will it stay like that?

Facebook page: Alan_Alberino OC
Old 18 Hours Ago
Opera aficionado

Splave is a name known to allSplave is a name known to allSplave is a name known to allSplave is a name known to allSplave is a name known to allSplave is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by richba5tard View Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Splave For This Useful Post:
GeorgeStorm (17 Hours Ago)
Old 12 Hours Ago
robot overlord

Strunkenbold is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeStorm View Post
I'm not sure if Strunkenbold has just suggested what I already said, which is to have a % cutoff but also with a min. number of subs giving points.

Aiming for the best of both worlds?
Yes exactly. We need the cutoff for the server load. But we should doing something to allow building up the ranking. And at least for me, the ranking also exists for Air/H2O benchers. LN2 benchers need the smaller guys for points. And its mostly points where competition starts. If you want to select a card for benching, you can choose between some thousand variants, usually you choose the card where you getting big points for. Anyway I think we should have some points for the "early birds", so that ranking can fill up with results and older / ambient cooled results still get some reward.

I could imagine we could serve the first 500 in the global ranking and the first 50 in a hardware ranking.
This way we could raise the 50% cap for the globals again. Because right now, even a 4500Mhz CPU-Z submission gets globals.
Old 4 Hours Ago
kitchen robot

masterbitz

I hope the change is to improve not to get worse and more competitive since since I am informed comes serious changes and I trust that the 2 million increases are calculated well with the new parameters and that they do not favor a particular group, I say because seeing the profile I use shows that I have not uploaded any result more than a year and two months ago, something totally wrong but I will leave the benefit of the doubt to the Rev7 trusting that for everyone it is a good change and that the competition is fair .