Go Back   HWBOT forum > >

Benchmark software Discuss benchmarking software.

User Tag List

Y-Cruncher Multi-Threaded Pi-Benchmark Updated with GUI and HWBOT Compatibility

y-cruncher is a benchmark program that computes Pi and other mathematical constants to the region of billions or even trillions of digits. The program was created to calculate the vastest Pi numbers possible and in fact holds the world record for the most ever recorded; 13.3 trillion to be exact. Previously only available sans user interface, our man Mystical has taken the time to create a more complete app that integrates a graphical user interface and the ability to submit on HWBOT.

Originally developed in 2009 as a high school project by Alexander J. Yee, y-cruncher is actually quite unique in a number of different ways. It?s the first Pi computing program that can use multiple threads for a near linear boost in calculation speed, it can also use and stress unlimited amounts of system memory and it also uses ISA extensions such as SSE and AVX available on most modern processors.

The new app created by Mystical is called the y-cruncher HWBOT Submitter. It's written in Java and requires Java 8 runtime to run. Note: y-cruncher itself has no requirements other than Windows Vista or later or above. The app includes three presets; Pi to 25 million digits, 1 billion digits and 10 billion digits. The 25 million digit run will complete in just under two seconds, whereas the 10 billion run will require 48GB of memory.

You can learn more about the y-cruncher HWBOT Submitter on the forum thread here.

Mar 28, 2016 - article - forum.hwbot.org
Old 04-02-2016
grunt bot

Mysticial
Default Re: Math turns benchmark: y-cruncher meets HWBOT

Update: I finally got the datafile encryption to work. So that has been enabled along with a new version of the submitter. (v0.9.2.64) This also means that older versions of the submitter will no longer work. So you'll need to download the new version.

With this, I also switched the benchmarks to public beta.
Old 04-02-2016
maintenance bot

nexus35

Hello
I nevertheless uses the latest version.
I do not understand?
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture16.PNG (39.5 KB, 20 views)
Attached Files
File Type: txt Validation - Pi - 25,000,000.txt (7.0 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by nexus35; 04-02-2016 at 08:35.
Old 04-02-2016
grunt bot

Mysticial

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus35 View Post
Hello
I nevertheless uses the latest version.
I do not understand?
That's strange... It works for me.

Since the version restrictions clearly aren't working consistently, I went ahead and disabled them. I added those yesterday because I wanted to blacklist v0.7.1 until it is released. (There are a few of copies floating around out there. And they are faster than v0.6.9, so it wouldn't be a fair to those with only v0.6.9.)

I guess that probably explains why there haven't been any submissions lately... Oops...
Old 04-02-2016
In the distance

Thanked 1,100 Times in 545 Posts
Massman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Massman

Works here - http://hwbot.org/submission/3177103_...00u_5sec_536ms

I'll set up a small competition to test the benchmark

For all HWBOT community related questions, contact Christian Ney or Websmile. For any other questions, contact me at pieter@hwbot.org.
Old 04-02-2016
maintenance bot

nexus35
Smile Re: Math turns benchmark: y-cruncher meets HWBOT

It's good now
Old 04-02-2016
grunt bot

Taloken is on a distinguished road

Hi ^^

Trying y-cruncher at the moment, congrats for the well integrated Hwbot wrapper !
25M and 1B done, i'm currently running the 10B ... see you the next decade xD

FX-8350 and 16GB, i put the bench on my hdd and enabled the swap mode.
Now, 54% completion for 1h11.

Just a question, y-cruncher use the disk where it is, or it use system disk ? maybe my ssd is getting raped x)

Edit : ok i see the files, it use current hdd, my ssd is safe ^^'

Last edited by Taloken; 04-02-2016 at 20:21.
Old 04-02-2016
grunt bot

Mysticial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taloken View Post
Hi ^^

Trying y-cruncher at the moment, congrats for the well integrated Hwbot wrapper !
25M and 1B done, i'm currently running the 10B ... see you the next decade xD

FX-8350 and 16GB, i put the bench on my hdd and enabled the swap mode.
Now, 54% completion for 1h11.

Just a question, y-cruncher use the disk where it is, or it use system disk ? maybe my ssd is getting raped x)
Are you running 10b in "Ram Only" mode or "Swap Mode"? If you're running it through the submitter, it will be in Ram Only mode and it will thrash the pagefile. If you're running it in Swap Mode directly in y-cruncher, then it will use the default path unless you specify otherwise. (Even though Swap Mode uses the disk, it is much more efficient than the pagefile.)

The default path will be wherever you double-clicked to open the program. So if that's your boot drive with the SSD, then yes it will be "raping" your SSD.

Wearing out an SSD is possible if you're not careful. But this is mainly a problem for the really big runs. (A 100b computation will incur 20+TB of writes if you have no more than 32GB of memory.)

Last edited by Mysticial; 04-02-2016 at 20:28.
Old 04-02-2016
grunt bot

Taloken is on a distinguished road

swap mode, manually via the commande line.

But hell, it doesn't progress for a percent in 20min ... only semi-load iterations of "VST-PM" & Co.
What the point of these phases ?
Old 04-02-2016
grunt bot

Mysticial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taloken View Post
swap mode, manually via the commande line.

But hell, it doesn't progress for a percent in 20min ... only semi-load iterations of "VST-PM" & Co.
What the point of these phases ?
The computation isn't really linear. It's divided up in to multiple blocks of unequal size. While it's possible to derive the % mark at the top level, it's almost impossible within each block. What you're seeing are the progress indicators deep within the computation algorithm itself.

For the most part, those internal progress indicators are meaningless to anyone who isn't familiar with the algorithms that are used. I used to hide them prior to v0.6.1. But when you're running a really large computation that takes weeks, seeing a static "XX%" indicator for several days straight doesn't provide much in the way of positive reinforcement that the computation is still running. So I ended up turning them on in the public versions even if hardly anyone will be able to decipher its meaning.
Old 04-03-2016
In the distance

Thanked 1,100 Times in 545 Posts
Massman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Massman

Fyi, in case anyone is interested, here's the link to our beta test competition: http://oc-esports.io/#!/round/ycruncher_beta_contest.

I'm off trying the 1B

For all HWBOT community related questions, contact Christian Ney or Websmile. For any other questions, contact me at pieter@hwbot.org.