Go Back   HWBOT forum > >

Benchmark software Discuss benchmarking software.

User Tag List

Y-Cruncher Multi-Threaded Pi-Benchmark Updated with GUI and HWBOT Compatibility

y-cruncher is a benchmark program that computes Pi and other mathematical constants to the region of billions or even trillions of digits. The program was created to calculate the vastest Pi numbers possible and in fact holds the world record for the most ever recorded; 13.3 trillion to be exact. Previously only available sans user interface, our man Mystical has taken the time to create a more complete app that integrates a graphical user interface and the ability to submit on HWBOT.

Originally developed in 2009 as a high school project by Alexander J. Yee, y-cruncher is actually quite unique in a number of different ways. It?s the first Pi computing program that can use multiple threads for a near linear boost in calculation speed, it can also use and stress unlimited amounts of system memory and it also uses ISA extensions such as SSE and AVX available on most modern processors.

The new app created by Mystical is called the y-cruncher HWBOT Submitter. It's written in Java and requires Java 8 runtime to run. Note: y-cruncher itself has no requirements other than Windows Vista or later or above. The app includes three presets; Pi to 25 million digits, 1 billion digits and 10 billion digits. The 25 million digit run will complete in just under two seconds, whereas the 10 billion run will require 48GB of memory.

You can learn more about the y-cruncher HWBOT Submitter on the forum thread here.

Mar 28, 2016 - article - forum.hwbot.org
Old 04-04-2016
grunt bot

Mysticial
Default Re: Math turns benchmark: y-cruncher meets HWBOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vip3r011 View Post
nice benchmark, nice stress test also, not so nice heat output
Everything that heavily uses 256-bit AVX will do that on Haswell. I presume not too many benchmarks use AVX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMIAS View Post
Hello, I have a recurring problem, each time I run into Pi-1B or even 89%, I have the right to a message:
Redundancy Check Failed: coefficient is too large.

an idea?
Is this happening even when the hardware is completely stable? That error normally only shows up on hardware instability. The fact that you're seeing it so early (and consistently) suggests something is seriously broken. But nobody else seems to be hitting it...

Did you do unusual tweaks to the OS? I can only think of two possible things, but I'm not sure if they're even possible...
Old 04-04-2016
maintenance bot

vip3r011

using 1366 here, haswell to new for me .

that errors i hit this morning on the r3e , overclock wasnt stable.

got a hp ml150 g6 board here with two xeon L5520,,need to test but, 12gb ram only , will it do swap on 2x300gb sas raid? the 10billion test..

Last edited by vip3r011; 04-04-2016 at 14:15.
The Following User Says Thank You to vip3r011 For This Useful Post:
Massman (04-04-2016)
Old 04-04-2016
kitchen robot

COMIAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticial View Post
Is this happening even when the hardware is completely stable? That error normally only shows up on hardware instability. The fact that you're seeing it so early (and consistently) suggests something is seriously broken. But nobody else seems to be hitting it...

Did you do unusual tweaks to the OS? I can only think of two possible things, but I'm not sure if they're even possible...
No changes, and even the stock has hardwares that me also displayed.
Pi-25m goes smoothly
but Pi and Pi-1b-10B, its not want to know. every time I have the right to error.
Old 04-05-2016
grunt bot

Mysticial

Quote:
using 1366 here, haswell to new for me .

that errors i hit this morning on the r3e , overclock wasnt stable.

got a hp ml150 g6 board here with two xeon L5520,,need to test but, 12gb ram only , will it do swap on 2x300gb sas raid? the 10billion test..
Yeah, the program doesn't really care what you're running on. In fact it doesn't even know. All it knows is a path.

If you're interested to see what a "high-end" swap mode configuration looks like, here's my 4770K doing the 10b with only 32GB of memory.

http://hwbot.org/submission/3178862_
Old 04-05-2016
grunt bot

Mysticial

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMIAS View Post
No changes, and even the stock has hardwares that me also displayed.
Pi-25m goes smoothly
but Pi and Pi-1b-10B, its not want to know. every time I have the right to error.
I was going to ask for more details of your system. But then I noticed that you did manage to get a 1b score submitted.

What did you change? I'm really curious since it really shouldn't be happening so I'd like to fix it (or at least do something about it) in future versions.

Btw, someone else seems to be hitting the problem as well - which is why I'm concerned.
Old 04-05-2016
maintenance bot

vip3r011

Quote:
Yeah, the program doesn't really care what you're running on. In fact it doesn't even know. All it knows is a path.

If you're interested to see what a "high-end" swap mode configuration looks like, here's my 4770K doing the 10b with only 32GB of memory.

http://hwbot.org/submission/3178862_
damm impressive..with swap!
Old 04-06-2016
grunt bot

Mysticial

Quote:
damm impressive..with swap!
Call me fanatical, but that entire machine is custom-built to run y-cruncher's swap mode. It's sole purpose is actually to test y-cruncher through its development.

It's got 4 versions of Windows, 3 versions of Linux, and absolutely nothing installed other than compilers and overclocking tools.
Old 04-06-2016
In the distance

Thanked 1,100 Times in 545 Posts
Massman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Massman

I think you'll find this community is very approving of "fanaticals"

For all HWBOT community related questions, contact Christian Ney or Websmile. For any other questions, contact me at pieter@hwbot.org.
Old 04-06-2016
kitchen robot

COMIAS

Quote:
I was going to ask for more details of your system. But then I noticed that you did manage to get a 1b score submitted.

What did you change? I'm really curious since it really shouldn't be happening so I'd like to fix it (or at least do something about it) in future versions.

Btw, someone else seems to be hitting the problem as well - which is why I'm concerned.
I simply increase my virtual memory is 8192 MB 0 MB
And I can walk in a settings Y-cruncher, option 3.
I joined you the validation file of Pi-1B if cel may help you to understand, that was changing.

By against Y-cruncher, is very hot CPU .... my i7 4790K has 4.5Ghz, above 80 ° C in benchmark .....

Incidentally, his will that everyone sticks the screenshot to their score as many do that put pictures of their config. too bad.

PS: sorry for my english but I translated with Google.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Validation - Pi - 1,000,000,000.txt (9.6 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by COMIAS; 04-06-2016 at 10:17.
Old 04-07-2016
grunt bot

Mysticial

I'm gonna leave this right here:

HPET detection seems to work on all 4 of the machines that I've tested on. There's an additional hardware timer that I'm interested in testing, but none of my machines are suitable for that. So that'll have to wait.

That's enough for the meantime. Too much programming means that I fall behind on my Anime...

p.s. Don't hold your breath for what's in the screenshot. This required a change in y-cruncher itself. And therefore it will need to wait until v0.7.1 is launched. (That will take a while and I definitely will not do it before the beta competition finishes since it will break speed consistency.)