Go Back   HWBOT forum > News > HWBOT Frontpage News

HWBOT Frontpage News Official HWBOT articles and frontpage news

Closed Thread

[Video] GPU Thermal Paste Application, the Buildzoid Methodology

It never ceases to amaze me just how much overclockers agree on virtually nothing. Not ever it seems. From motherboard insulation, to simple CPU pot mountings and even paper towels, consensus is pretty damn hard to find. One such topic of debate is the simple act of thermal paste application. There are different ways to apply thermal paste to a CPU or GPU before mounting the cooler; a small ball, long strips, crosses etc are all techniques favored by some overclockers, and equally derided by others. One man who is never short of an opinion or ten is Buildzoid. Today we bring you the Buildzoid way to apply thermal paste to a GPU in preparation for some LN2-based, subzero overclocking.

The graphics card in question is the latest AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 card, but in fact the advice Buildzoid has to share would I?m sure be applicable to most high-end, full bore GPUs. The GPU LN2 pot he uses is the ECC Raptor 4 from der8aeur which as Buildzoid notes, offers sufficient clearance for the chokes on the PCB. Buildzoid has successfully got his Vega GPU down to temps of -130 C without cracking and reckons thermal paste application is a major factor in making this happen.

His thermal paste of choice is the popular Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. He starts by applying direct from the tube to the GPU Vega core, dabbing a small amount to each of the corners. He then mounts the LN2 pot briefly so that he has an outline of where the paste connected with the pot. He then applies paste to the LN2 pot in a relatively thick lines from corner to corner to the other, then spreading it out to cover the surface of the pot. He then goes back to the GPU, adding plenty of paste to the edges of the GPU. He is very generous with the paste.

He goes on to reveal plenty of techniques that he?s picked up from other overclockers and offers plenty of advice along the way. Thanks for sharing as ever Buildzoid. You can catch the video here on the Actually Hardcore Overclocking YouTube channel where there?s a ton of live extreme OC sessions, PCB breakdowns and more.

You can discuss this post in the HWBOT Community Forum here.

Dec 5, 2017 - article - youtu.be
Old 4 Days Ago
transformer

FireKillerGR
Send a message via Skype™ to FireKillerGR
Default Re: [Video] GPU Thermal Paste Application, the Buildzoid Methodology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimpzilla View Post
Well sharing a technique do not mean master it. The time you spent master it would anyway give you the advantage on a newcomer even if he know how to do, i'm sorry. This could be applied in any technical, scientific area, unless you spend time to teach to the newcomer each peculiarity of the technique to allow him to reach the same level of mastery of yours in a lower amount of time.
Hope this point is clear enough for you!

After that, reading your words you clearly state that the HWBot normal competition is under shadows until you reach the public, where no shadow could exist because more easily spotted and utterly punished.
So on public area each one get the same hardware, outside the public area do what ever you want. This is not the definition of public competition, where regulatory statement do not correspond with opinions. Otherwise law enforcement would be a joke right.
Hope this point is also clear enough!

Aside that, being ignorant, disrespectful and threatening other of inexperienced to back up you pride is funny. As far i'm not experience under LN2 techniques you are threatening me of noob without knowing my actual skill and knowledge in other areas that are not mounting a pot and benching on LN2.

More than that i asked to back up explanations by data in a neat way, you just come out with a basic power limitation excuse. If there was a power limitation and clocks would not boost as high as they should, please explain me why the GPU score is higher than the other.

Obviously you did not take the time to read what i posted and asked before and jumped on the train: "let belittle this one too to settle this easily!", sorry this stuff don't work with me. Data and scientific proof or its is just you opinion that do not worth a penny!

Unfortunately for you nope, you are the one that seems poorly skilled based essentially on your own words, go figure!
A) You only mentioned technique but what about other stuff? What if I share my drivers' settings which can be applied by anyone? Not everything is hard but almost everything requires time. I value mine enough to be protective vs guys who want to have it for free.

B) If you see it this way, then too bad for you and you should address this to the mods/admins. I believe its ok as it is (most scores if not all, can be verified) and if not, it will get better by time. You see something weird, you report it. Better than having guys (like you and me) analyze if its legit or not. Much more drama which isn't needed.

C) At which point did I "threat" you? lolz?
Additionally benching with ln2 can be completely different than just having a very efficient score at ambient cooling. Different temps, different scenario, different issues.

D) Guy A ran @2240/2450 and scored 7603. Guy B ran @2367/2425. Which could actually be an easy throttle @2250-2270-2300 or whatever based on the Power Limit rule (see? thats why it can be highe) . Have experienced it with 10x0 cards before, and it is the scenario that makes the most sense.
Now if you wanna live at your own fantasy, then no worries. Swallow whatever secnario pleases you. You can even report his score for "unrealistic at given clocks"

E) You are the one calling bs to someone else score, indicating that the h2o guy cheated because he had similar/close graphics score with someone who ran at higher clocks (buildzoid).
Why the heck do I need to prove to you why this could happen? It is your own problem.

F) Oh you are trying to pull this twist... Good one got to admit. Used to do the same when we were 8-10 yo just to sound complicated while we wanted to prove our point (without making sense nor proving it) .

That's the final post from my side.
Too much energy spent already, and I doubt you will understand any of my points.
Wanna be a rebel and question whatever for whichever reason you pick, even tho it might actually make sense? Suit yourself.

Last edited by FireKillerGR; 4 Days Ago at 20:16.
Old 4 Days Ago
HWBOT Forum Administrators

Thanked 1,233 Times in 707 Posts
websmile will become famous soon enoughwebsmile will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to websmile
Default Re: [Video] GPU Thermal Paste Application, the Buildzoid Methodology

I close the thread because this leads nowhere - I have an opinion on this as well^^ - and will not share it. I understand the people who want to keep the advantage they earned by testing and spending lots of time, I understand the people who appreciate help and I understand people who share their work. All have their point, but I will not support force used to pressure people sharing for example. If we want overclocking to be hobby but also sports and competition, we have to accept that not everything can be given away what people discover with money, time and knowledge. I helped myself a lot on basic stuff, even people who are criticzed here helped others, and I simply see help as a gift people give of knowledge they earned themselves, and not as an obligation. Hwbot can not and will not force people to share, but we appreciate it if done at free will and also encourage it.
Casanova (4 Days Ago), FireKillerGR (4 Days Ago), Frito (3 Days Ago), Infuriare (2 Days Ago), mickulty (2 Days Ago), Mr.Scott (4 Days Ago), Noxinite (4 Days Ago), Rauf (3 Days Ago), yosarianilives (3 Days Ago)
Closed Thread