Go Back   HWBOT forum > Overclocking & benchmarking > General overclocking

General overclocking All things overclocking that doesn't anywhere else

Old 10-07-2017
kitchen robot

frozensolid
Default weird unstable overclock with 1050 TI

Hi, I'm a newbie overclocker just started learning about it

So I have Galax 1050 TI, I did overclock with +100 voltage, 100% power limit(already max, can't increase), +1000 Mem clock & + 90~100 core clock
When I test it in firestrike benchmark sometimes the test pass until finish sometimes it crash during the last tick when loading test (mostly graphic test 2 loading) and sometimes during the test, but never crash on physic test and combined test
The temp never reach past 60 C during whole test

So I test it using unigin heaven extreme preset about 10 minute+ and it never crash. I even manage to up the core to +150 core clock and test it again at unigine heaven and never crash and the temp can reach 70+

What happen with my overclock?
Old 10-07-2017
Banned by Mafio

Leeghoofd is a jewel in the roughLeeghoofd is a jewel in the roughLeeghoofd is a jewel in the roughLeeghoofd is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: weird unstable overclock with 1050 TI

just re-test firestrike with eg +100 core clock and only +950 mem clock. if that passes you know, it is the memory on the gpu holding back the card in that test. Continue testing till you find the max for your card.

I usually test first max stable core clocks. Than add the memory into the mix.

Remeber that each benchmark stresses the card differently, so one needs to find different operational aka stable values per benchmark.

OC is all about logic debugging
Old 10-07-2017
kitchen robot

frozensolid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeghoofd View Post
just re-test firestrike with eg +100 core clock and only +950 mem clock. if that passes you know, it is the memory on the gpu holding back the card in that test. Continue testing till you find the max for your card.

I usually test first max stable core clocks. Than add the memory into the mix.

Remeber that each benchmark stresses the card differently, so one needs to find different operational aka stable values per benchmark.

OC is all about logic debugging
thanks for the reply
i tried +110 core and 0 mem clock, still same. i just update my driver and i think +100 core and +1000 mem clock is ok. havent test it many times

+110 core & +1000 mem mostly failed but sometime pass

and 1 more thing, i checked OSD and i saw the power limit never went pass 95%, i already set it to 100%, why is that?
could it effect the crash?
and also the volt mostly stuck at 1.1V
sometimes it go 1.112V but most of the time its 1.1v

PS : this is not for daily use, im trying to get high graphic score as high as i can for a competition

the main question for me right now is why the power limit / consumption never go over 95%, it went up and down 88-94%
because i believe the correct one have to be maxed at 99/100%

Last edited by frozensolid; 10-08-2017 at 08:44.
Old 10-08-2017
Banned by Mafio

Leeghoofd is a jewel in the roughLeeghoofd is a jewel in the roughLeeghoofd is a jewel in the roughLeeghoofd is a jewel in the rough

so your testing shows it is not the memclock making it fail, it is the core clock. Try +80 core clock and mem at +1000 and see if it passes all the time...

like mentioned each benchmark stresses the gpu differently, so it could be it passes one benchmark at +110/1050 and onother one only at +90/1000.
Old 10-08-2017
kitchen robot

frozensolid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeghoofd View Post
so your testing shows it is not the memclock making it fail, it is the core clock. Try +80 core clock and mem at +1000 and see if it passes all the time...

like mentioned each benchmark stresses the gpu differently, so it could be it passes one benchmark at +110/1050 and onother one only at +90/1000.
ya i can run the +80 core and mem +1000 perfectly stable
and the power limit is still the same going up and down between 88-94% on graphic test 1 & 2
do you have any information why my GPU cant use power limit over 95%? i already set it 100%
Old 10-08-2017
Wimpzilla

Try to lower your gpu t° as much you can also, changing thermal paste, fan 100%, additional fan on the card/vrm.
The best would be to slap a water cooling on it. It should also help with reaching your max clocks.
Old 10-08-2017
kitchen robot

frozensolid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimpzilla View Post
Try to lower your gpu t° as much you can also, changing thermal paste, fan 100%, additional fan on the card/vrm.
The best would be to slap a water cooling on it. It should also help with reaching your max clocks.
i did crank up the fan to 100%, and also i did test it with room ambient 27C
but for changing the thermal paste, i cant do that for now. because in my country, they put the warranty seal on the screw so i open it, my warranty will void lol
but thanks for the reply and suggestion
Old 10-08-2017
Wimpzilla

You can gently remove the warranty sticker, heating it just just a bit with an hairdryer to help the removal and using a clean cutter blade.

For your information, manufacturer will not refuse your card if you removed/destroy the sticker, it's more a deterrence move.

The most important thing is to have the card as it was at stock without any evident damage caused by you.

Usually there is a law to cite if the stubborn manufacturer still refuse the warranty, that state you own/bought the card and could remove the sticker if you wanted to without breaking the warranty, as you paid for the ownership of the goods.

Or do this if you are skilled enough and/or give you an example of what NOT to do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8kc...annel=PCManiac

BE AWARE if you SCRATCH the twizzer on the pcb, you could damage the copper traces killing the gpu, in this case for example, it would be NO warranty for you, worst case than breaking the sticker.

Hope it help!

Last edited by Wimpzilla; 10-08-2017 at 13:32.
Old 10-08-2017
kitchen robot

frozensolid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimpzilla View Post
You can gently remove the warranty sticker, heating it just just a bit with an hairdryer to help the removal and using a clean cutter blade.

For your information, manufacturer will not refuse your card if you removed/destroy the sticker, it's more a deterrence move.

The most important thing is to have the card as it was at stock without any evident damage caused by you.

Usually there is a law to cite if the stubborn manufacturer still refuse the warranty, that state you own/bought the card and could remove the sticker if you wanted to without breaking the warranty, as you paid for the ownership of the goods.
when i first had it, i want to replace the paste with mine and tried to open the sticker with flat head screwdriver and it broke a little bit since its like fragile pieces. so i was like "oh bunnyextraction, nevermind then" lol

sadly its abit different here in my country, all product is shipped by a distributor and all warranty claim goes to them. they have their own warranty sticker seal. so if i broke the seal, i cant claim warranty to them. well we do can claim warranty directly to the manufacturer but it will cost us shipping cost, and its expensive.
so yeah, little fact about my country for you

oh btw, the screw seal is just a sticker with a purchase date and stick across the PCB and on top of the screw haha

Last edited by frozensolid; 10-08-2017 at 13:34.
Old 10-08-2017
Wimpzilla

I do not think the distributor warranty worth something, since they will ship back the card to the manufacturer, so again customers laws should protect you.

Nevertheless i do not know how good/bad distributors are when handling with these stuff in your country, so yeah if you think it's a "no go" keep the stickers.

Just add some fans all over the place to try to lower the gpu/vrm t°.