Go Back   HWBOT forum > Overclocking & benchmarking > Intel CPU Overclocking > X58A-OC Owners Club

X58A-OC Owners Club Meet and greet other proud owners of GIGABYTE's X58A-OC mainboard

Old 04-21-2016
Boss Player - Marketplace Mod

xxbassplayerxx is a jewel in the roughxxbassplayerxx is a jewel in the roughxxbassplayerxx is a jewel in the roughxxbassplayerxx is a jewel in the rough
Default Anyone Losing Memory Channels with Time on X58A-OC?

I bought a board a while back that was known to drop a memory channel but I chalked that up to the overall condition of the board--rough with vas everywhere. Maybe one out of ten times it would boot with the third channel.

I later bought a board that was in flawless condition and all seemed well until a few weeks ago... it started dropping a memory channel as well.

Recently saw that the notorious scammer Systemviper was selling one as well. He said it was treated well which is probably a lie but his was also having the same issue....

Has anyone else had this? Were you able to fix it? If so, what did you do? It looks like it's becoming common on this board as it ages and that's a massive bummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Ney
fu
Old 04-21-2016
transformer

MR. Horse
Default Re: Anyone Losing Memory Channels with Time on X58A-OC?

I repaired a lot of old 1366 mobo's and seen this a lot. Even seen the 3rd channel come and go like you stated.

It can be few things. But most of the time it is a bad cpu or socket when the 3'rd channel goes out.
Sometimes it something along the NB such as a missing SMD cap/resistor/transistor or a bad NB or trace to the NB.
It can be a bad bios flash or setting as well, but I'm sure that not your problem.
It can also be the ram or ram slots.

Id start by trying a few different cpu and ram sticks. Then clean the ram slots, cpu and socket. After then your in no mans land testing every part, piece and contact on the board.

EDIT:
I mostly seen this problem on asus and evga boards, never had it happen on a gig.

Last edited by MR. Horse; 04-21-2016 at 15:39.
Old 04-21-2016
Boss Player - Marketplace Mod

xxbassplayerxx is a jewel in the roughxxbassplayerxx is a jewel in the roughxxbassplayerxx is a jewel in the roughxxbassplayerxx is a jewel in the rough

Hey Mr. Horse, I can say that in the case of my second board, it's absolutely flawless. Nothing missing, not even dirty. Socket is picture-perfect. I tried with two different chips (980X & 960) and plenty of different sticks of memory.

I'm thinking that it's something internal on the board that breaks down with age... a trace or something like that. I'm not sure though. I may reach out to Gigabyte directly to see if they have any experience with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Ney
fu
Old 04-21-2016
transformer

MR. Horse

I had a asus p6t like that.
I know there is one pin (can't recall witch) on 1366 xeon's that like to go bad and cause the 3rd channel to go out sometimes taking the board with it. Might be the same with i7's.

Every time I had a board witch the 3rd channel would come and go it was ether the cpu or voltage/OC.
Old 01-07-2017
kitchen robot

edita is on a distinguished road

yes, i'm i don't know how to fix it!