Go Back   HWBOT forum > >

Rookies Help Rookies Get to know fellow starting overclockers and help each other out in case you have questions regarding overclocking

User Tag List

Unread 08-22-2016
kitchen robot

eightyeightkeys
Default Re: Asus ROGGL752 VW-i76700HQ-Shows Active Cores -2 ?

Hello Massman :
I almost never use the laptop using the battery. Basically, the laptop is a convenient "mobile" composing rig for me when we travel (now I use it at home as well)... but, I always plug-into A/C.
Under "Power Options" (which I'm using High Performance) there isn't any "Battery Usage" setting, however, I searched for Battery Usage and the "Battery Saver" system setting comes up. There is no "performance" mode there. All options there are set to values that would not affect the CPU power. Can you point me in the right direction ?
Unread 08-22-2016
In the distance

Massman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Massman

Power options is the correct setting (shows up here under the 'battery'-icon, hence the confusion).

Can you check the turbo boost behavior with SuperPI? Open the benchmark, then assign affinity to one core in Task Manager. Check with CPU-Z for the frequency of the core you assigned the SuperPI task to.

The i7 6700HQ turbo boost configuration is 3.5/3.3/3.1G for respectively 1C/2C/4C workloads.

For all HWBOT community related questions, contact Christian Ney or Websmile. For any other questions, contact me at pieter@hwbot.org.
Unread 08-22-2016
kitchen robot

eightyeightkeys

Sorry Massman.. a bit beyond me I'm afraid....how do i set the "affinity to one core in the task manager?"
Unread 08-22-2016
In the distance

Massman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Massman

Set Affinity on a Program Manually

- Press ctrl + alt + del to bring up the Windows Task Manager, and navigate to the Processes tab.
- Find the program on which you want to set affinity. ...
- Uncheck Now, simply check off the core you want this specific program to run on.
- Click Ok, and you are done.

For all HWBOT community related questions, contact Christian Ney or Websmile. For any other questions, contact me at pieter@hwbot.org.
Unread 08-22-2016
kitchen robot

eightyeightkeys

Got it...thank-you

Here are the screenshots :
#1) CPUZ screenshot : while running XTU Benchmark with XTU CPU Affinity set to one processor - CPU0
#2) Intel XTU Benchmark Screenshot : Benchmark Result with CPU Affinity set to one processor - CPU0
#3) CPUZ screenshot : while running SuperPI (1M calculation of pi) with CPU Affinity of SuperPI set to one processor - CPU0
Unread 08-24-2016
kitchen robot

eightyeightkeys

How does the Intel XTU tuning app work ?

Does the app need to be running in order for the new settings to work across all applications or is the "Saved" XTU tuning automatically loaded when Windows boots ?

I'm guessing the the Core Voltage is the most critical setting when overclocking ? I've increased that setting from Default to 1.0V and the Benchmark score went from 917 to 922. Not sure what that means and how it will apply to my professional audio application Cubase, but, i need all the juice I can get when working.
Unread 09-07-2016
kitchen robot

ubronan

On topic noticed the same issue in the latest version so i guess not fixed.

Got my limit quickly on the current I7 6700k can not pass 4.50 ghz for 2 reasons.
When i put it at 4.60 ghz it crashed, so i dug up the option to show more info including voltage on the cores and temps per core.
After running it again at 4.50 ghz, i can clearly see that all 4 cores are loaded so that makes me conclude that the software showing 2 core nonsense is not a problem at all.
In my case it showed also a huge problem on this cpu, at 4.5 it uses 1.45 volt on each core which made me clear i have to turn it down quickly because above 1.42 you risk burning your cpu.
This is kinda sad because the earlier cpu i had went easily up to 4.6 ghz running at adaptive 1.362 volt. Sadly i had to rma that one because there where some issues with the memory controller and the ringspeed.
This also ends my change on getting a higher score at the rookie challenge, where i dropped from 34th spot down to 39th in like 20 minutes

Last edited by ubronan; 09-07-2016 at 14:24.
Unread 09-07-2016
kitchen robot

eightyeightkeys

Hello ubronan :

Firstly, I'm a total newb at this....I'm a musician trying to squeeze the most out of, what I would say is, an under performing laptop.

I'd be more than happy with a stable 4 GHz machine. I noticed on your overclock scores that the lowest that you have posted is 4.39GHz ? Is that a completely stable O'C ?

If it is, I'd luv to download that file and give 'er a go.