Go Back   HWBOT forum > >

League Discussions Discuss the current leagues

User Tag List

Old 11-12-2015
kitchen robot

Simi37
Default Why am I in Enthusiast league?

Why am I in Enthusiast league? I have submission only with stock cooling and I registered this summer? Why am I not in Novice league??
I know, that Novice league has time limit BUT, and i registered half year ago and novice time limit is 1 year!
Old 11-13-2015
In the distance

Thanked 1,103 Times in 547 Posts
Massman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Massman
Default Re: Why am I in Enthusiast league?

Fixed - not sure why this happened :P

For all HWBOT community related questions, contact Christian Ney or Websmile. For any other questions, contact me at pieter@hwbot.org.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
maintenance bot

No1Spank

The enthusiast league is getting pretty big and a lot of people in it have only submitted a few low scoring benches so aren't really enthusiasts in my book.

As it will soon hit 100,000 would it be a good idea to keep people novices until they score 100 points or at least submit a minimum number of benches? Obviously a talented novice who's not long registered could still do their 9 months and maybe someone coming back as a novice could have 3 months in there after they hit their 100 points or minimum subs.

This way if someone comes back to HwBot later they can still take part in the novice competitions against people their own level to get their experience up, plus it will give the enthusiast league a bit more credability if overclockers have to qualify to be in it. I think as the league gets bigger there will eventually need to be a bit more structure to keep peoples interest.

Doing something similar to the Elites would be good too as some of the overclockers in that league clearly aren't elite, just because you got hold of some cool engineering hardware shouldn't qualify you for the most prestigious catagory if you haven't scored many points and proved yourself.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
robo cop

Alan_Alberino
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_Alberino

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1Spank View Post
The enthusiast league is getting pretty big and a lot of people in it have only submitted a few low scoring benches so aren't really enthusiasts in my book.

As it will soon hit 100,000 would it be a good idea to keep people novices until they score 100 points or at least submit a minimum number of benches? Obviously a talented novice who's not long registered could still do their 9 months and maybe someone coming back as a novice could have 3 months in there after they hit their 100 points or minimum subs.

This way if someone comes back to HwBot later they can still take part in the novice competitions against people their own level to get their experience up, plus it will give the enthusiast league a bit more credability if overclockers have to qualify to be in it. I think as the league gets bigger there will eventually need to be a bit more structure to keep peoples interest.

Doing something similar to the Elites would be good too as some of the overclockers in that league clearly aren't elite, just because you got hold of some cool engineering hardware shouldn't qualify you for the most prestigious catagory if you haven't scored many points and proved yourself.
Well, new HWBOT revision is coming... Some changes like this were talked in the thread about new revision, but no idea in what it ended...

@Massman, it would be great to have some news about new rev developement, and what changes are you finally implementing in test page, to keep proposing ideas like this one and finish the idea...

Facebook page: Alan_Alberino OC
Old 4 Weeks Ago
maintenance bot

No1Spank

Excellent!!

It could all be taken a few steps further later on to stop people sand bagging the enthusiast and apprentice leagues.

If for example you made it 250 points minimum as well as cooling dry ice etc to get in the apprentice league, but those with less points in enthusiast could use those methods of cooling and stay in enthusiast with a big score for 3 months after achieving the 250 points it would force those that want to be world number ones to move up as they would have to use better cooling to get to the top of their league even if only for a short time.

Also those that are fairly new to overclocking could experience better cooling to see if they like it without being forced into a higher league straight away. 250 points is a high enthusiast score if you only have a couple of consumer platforms, a handful of CPU's and a couple of graphics cards to bench.

I mean the amount of hardware you have to buy to be a top enthusiast for example must be more expensive that just buying a pot and some dice.

With Elites I think if an overclocker drops below 500 points for 3 months they should be put back down to the Extreme league. In any other sport you have to keep up a certain level of performance to stay in the top divisions. Also to qualify for Elite you would need more than 500 points for 3 months solid as well as use of engineering samples etc. This would hopefully encourage the best overclockers to keep benching.

Points are just numbers off the top of my head as examples. Once people have qualified for extreme & apprentice then I think they should stay there even if their points drop right down.

I like what Massman has done with the LGA775 rankings, platform leagues might also encourage people that can't afford the latest tech to bench what they have. I still love AM3+ and am getting into LGA775 gradually. I think around LGA775 & AM2+ is when the high end hardware became reliable enough to stand being pushed to its absolute limit multiple times and still keep going. I don't trust anything older myself as I seemed to destroy older hardware far to easily in my very early days of overclocking.