Go Back   HWBOT forum > > >

Overclocking.guide Share your thoughts and questions on articles at overclocking.guide

Overclocking.guide - Gain performance for free!

User Tag List

Unread 07-27-2016
In the distance

Massman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Massman
Default Overclocking.guide - Gain performance for free!

Welcome to the Overclocking.guide sub-forum. This section is reserved for the readers of one of the most awesome-est website on the internet. Oh, and it's moderated by Mr. @der8auer himself!

Enjoy the stay!

For all HWBOT community related questions, contact Christian Ney or Websmile. For any other questions, contact me at pieter@hwbot.org.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Massman For This Useful Post:
Leeghoofd (07-27-2016), MetalRacer (07-27-2016), Strong Island (08-02-2016), websmile (07-27-2016)
Unread 07-27-2016
transformer

DrWeez
Default Re: Overclocking.guide - Gain performance for free!

Unread 09-21-2016
kitchen robot

pcgamernerd is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I just built a gaming pc with an ASRock Fatality z170a Gaming K4. I tried instant flashing to the bios provided in the overclocking guide for my mobo. I used the specified settings for OCing in the bios:

BCLK 122
Voltage 1.325, level 1
DRAM 2600, XMP settings

I save the settings and reboot and nothing happens. It tries to start and just hangs with a black screen. So I tried dialing everything back to find something stable. Nothing aside from the stock settings for the bios work.

Here is my build:

ASRock Fatality z170a Gaming K4 motherboard
Intel i5-6500 CPU
16 GB DDR4 2400
Samsung 750 EVO 250 GB SSD (Boot Drive)
Windows 10 Pro
NO GPU YET, using onboard Intel HD530 graphics

I see everyone else is able to overclock this CPU but for some reason I cannot. What can I try? What am I not doing correctly? Any help is appreciated.
Unread 09-21-2016
In the distance

Massman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura about

It's because you're trying to use the integrated graphics in combination with non-K overclocking.

Non-K overclocking is achieved by disabling power management features inside the CPU. Among other things, it governs the integrated graphics. When you enable non-K overclocking (typically if BCLK >102.9 MHz), the power management is disabled and along with it all the things it governs. This includes the integrated graphics, C-states and AVX-256.

Long story short: you cannot use integrated graphics with non-K overclocking. You need a discrete graphics card.

For all HWBOT community related questions, contact Christian Ney or Websmile. For any other questions, contact me at pieter@hwbot.org.
Unread 09-21-2016
kitchen robot

pcgamernerd is on a distinguished road

Thank you! I figured that was the only thing that I could figure my build was lacking vs others. I just wasn't seeing it stated anywhere.
Unread 09-26-2016
kitchen robot

Brycter

Hey I'm new to forums and overclocking. my comp is a bit older but still good for what i use it for are there any profiles i could use or any pointers i just want to get the most out of my processor, GPU, and RAM. i have all the programs and my stuff can handle it.

CPU-Intel Core i5-4670 @3.4GHz
GPU-EVGA Nividi Geforce GTX 570 1024Mb
MEM-16GB 1600MHz beast RAM
Motherboard-MSI Z87-G45
SSD-Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
HD-Western Digital 1TB
SSD-SanDisk 128GB
Windows 7 Ultimate
Unread 09-26-2016
In the distance

Hi @Brycter! Nice to see you around.

I think the overclocking capabilities of your hardware will be quite limited considering you don't have the -K version of the Core i5. You can try increasing the BCLK a bit to get maybe 5% increase on air cooling.

The Following User Says Thank You to Massman For This Useful Post:
Brycter (09-26-2016)
Unread 09-26-2016
kitchen robot

Brycter

Hey @Massman. Thanks for the reply!

Darn sucks to hear that i got all this overclocking software thought id be able to mine is water cooled. is there any way to overclock my GPU or RAM? is there anything i can do to get better performance out of my comp? besides changing out parts which i probably should do soon. What would be a great over all upgrade for my CPU?
Unread 09-26-2016
HWBOT Forum Administrators

websmile will become famous soon enoughwebsmile will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to websmile

The ram you will have to overclock in BIOS, this is usually try and error, hardw way - for vga oc, there are several tools which might help you at getting best out of the 570, msi afterburner or nvidia inspector for example can overclock it via software. We have a download area where a lot of tools are listed
Benchmark Tweak Software
Unread 09-26-2016
kitchen robot

Brycter

Awesome I had a overclock profile in my bios for my ram that kicks it to 1866. My motherboard supports a oc genie. So been using that. I use precision oc for overclocking my GPU now but I'll check out the others. I can't seem to increase my base clock by anything with out my comp restarting so gonna have to leave that alone I guess. Maybe I'll upgrade to a new I5 k series. I really need to upgrade my GPU but I can't seem to find a decent bang for buck better than my current one.