Go Back   HWBOT forum > >

Rookies Help Rookies Get to know fellow starting overclockers and help each other out in case you have questions regarding overclocking

User Tag List

Old 2 Weeks Ago
kitchen robot

rombo
Default 1950x Threadripper Overclocking attemp (and fail)

Hi Guys,
This is my 2nd attempt at OCing a rig. My 1st one was a 3930k and I tried overclocking it to 4.1Ghz and it is solid, never skipped a beat.
my second rig is a 1950x that goes like this:

CPU: 1950x Threadripper with coolant spread as per Gamer Nexus advised pattern
COOLER: NZXT Kraken x62
MOBO: x399 Gigabyte AORUS
RAM: 4x16Gb (64Gb) Corsair Vengeance 3200C16R
PSU: Corsair CS850M 850w
VIDEOCARD: GeForce GTX 670 (yes, laugh! XD)

I tried everything, can't even OC the RAM to the XMP level by flicking the RAM XMP switch in the BIOS.
1st sign of mucking around with the RAM Speed and I am stuck in reboot loops ad infinitum.

I got the CPU running from 3.4 to 4.0 fairly stable, just upped the vcore to 1.25V and left all else automatic, just changing the clock multiplier.

It's just a pity I can't up the memory a little more, as it seems that the Zen Family are mem bandwidth hogs in order to get high scores in benchmarks.

Do you guys know of a guide to go about at experimenting a little more with this setup?
I am a bit lost, as I can't find a forum talking about this setup with clarity.

My Cinebench is below 2800cb and Corona Benchmark 1.3 sits at a depressing 5.6 Million Rays/s
I see guys having well above 3000cb and 6.5Million rays in Corona benchmark 1.3 so I suppose I must be doing something wrong...
Old 1 Week Ago
HWBOT Forum Administrators

Thanked 1,129 Times in 660 Posts
websmile will become famous soon enoughwebsmile will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to websmile
Default Re: 1950x Threadripper Overclocking attemp (and fail)

Might be needed to ugrade the bIOS, first BIOS editions at Ryzen also had memory problems. The point is that especially new amd systems have bigger problems to oc dual sided memory sticks as far as I know