Go Back   HWBOT forum > Overclocking & benchmarking > AMD CPU Overclocking > AMD Thuban OC

AMD Thuban OC Share findings, overclockers, settings and pose questions about AMD's latest: Thuban

Old 04-05-2010
In the distance

Thanked 1,136 Times in 557 Posts
Massman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Massman
Default Thuban-ready bios - Uncovering secrets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF3D
I am not sure who have this board, but here is the latest bios:

http://sf3d.pp.fi/CrosshairIV-Formula-ASUS-0502.rar
Since SF3D posted the latest Asus CIV bios on XtremeSystems, I decided to have a look inside the bios to check whether something interesting can be found in relation to the upcoming release of the Thuban series. In the past, I've done this already and it yielded me some decent results back then.

This time, again, some interesting bios strings could be found.

3 things to note in this screenshot:

1) It appears that ASUS has integrated CPU multipliers upto 35X, which is higher than the current physical limitation of 31,5x
2) The DRAM frequency multipliers go up to 2000MHz, whereas the highest memory multiplier on the Deneb processors was 1600MHz ... higher memory frequencies possible?
3) ECC support (not sure whether this was already in Deneb as well, just mentioning)

Especially the second point seems to be 'real' (I have no idea since I have neither the mainboard nor the CPU) since it comes back several times in the list of bios strings. Do note that there are several undocumented DRAM multipliers for the Deneb as well, but according to the mainboard manufacturers I've contacted, these were hardlocked by AMD. Given that they hardlocked it in the past, I can't imagine they wouldn't hardlock it again if the multiplier isn't supposed to be used ... so, DDR3-2000 might be a real divider?

For some reason, ASUS has added bios strings for a processor package containing 8 processor cores. This might just be some leftovers from the server CPU microcode (although that would be strange), so I've got no idea what it means. Maybe I should just be optimistic and hope there will be 8-core AM3 chips in the future (Bulldozer?).

For all HWBOT community related questions, contact Christian Ney or Websmile. For any other questions, contact me at pieter@hwbot.org.
Old 04-05-2010
robo cop

El Gappo
Default Go

Very interesting
________
Ford ranger ev

Last edited by El Gappo; 05-13-2011 at 18:43.
Old 04-05-2010
kitchen robot

redhat_ownage

i really like where this is going
GTX 470
Old 04-05-2010
robo cop

Alriin

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gappo View Post
Very interesting
Great News for AMD-Fans. Nice, Massman.

I have CIIF and CIIIF, so i must have CIVF. I await it eagerly. :-)
Old 04-05-2010
kitchen robot

Djmaddox

This is looking real nice.
Old 04-05-2010
HWBOT Staff

Antinomy
Send a message via Skype™ to Antinomy

I don't want to spoil the party, but what you are reading is just the BIOS strings - they are standardized and may be not implemented at all.

But what I can say is that the board has the unlocking option for all six cores (and locking, as I think).
I can add that the board has Core Performance Boost control - allows to select different modes (4 states)

And yep, I can confirm that the DDR3-2000 string is used in the BIOS (can't say whether on all CPUs or only some of them).

There's a great bunch of voltages also but I think they are quite common.
Old 04-05-2010
In the distance

Massman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antinomy View Post
I don't want to spoil the party, but what you are reading is just the BIOS strings - they are standardized and may be not implemented at all.
Yes and no.

First of all, AMD and Intel first sample the bios to Award and AMI to create a basic bios which contains all the code you need to get the system up and running stable. Then mainboard manufacturers receive the code from Award and AMI, but in most cases without any a lot of added information. So, for instance, it's possible that mainboard manufacturers have to figure out a lot of options on their own (eg: B2B Cas Delay and QPI multipliers).

Now, a bios can only hold a certain amount of code, so it's important to not waste space on useless stuff. For instance, you could provide code to support temp readings upto 16 cores, but when there's no CPU release that uses 16 cores, it's pretty useless code. The same goes for the memory multipliers. As said, in the AMD white papers you can find registry keys for different DRAM multipliers on the Deneb, but since these are not supported by the CPUs, or just not interesting (who wants 1:1 with DDR3?), so mainboard manufacturers didn't use space to integrate them.

Now, remember: the Asus Crosshair IV mainboard is a high-end mainboard with loads and loads of bios settings. This means that it's very likely Asus will have to make a choice what settings to integrate in the bios; in other words remove all the code which is not going to be used anyway. The fact that some bios strings remain in the bios is significant enough to assume(*) that they will be used at some stage. I obviously don't know what's really going on, so I leave the opening post open for speculation, but I don't think this should all be considered as 'standard' options that will not be used. Also, since you're kinda confirming my assumptions.

(*): assumption because it's always possible that an unimportant string has not been removed yet or doesn't need to be removed because there's already space enough.

For all HWBOT community related questions, contact Christian Ney or Websmile. For any other questions, contact me at pieter@hwbot.org.
Old 04-05-2010
nVidia FTW!

Location: Glasgowvic, Scotistan. Average Kingdom of Un-United Britain..
K404

DDR3-2000 has been hit with the Crosshair 4 Formula. The divider is real

http://www.ocxtreme.org/forumenus/showthread.php?t=5812
Old 04-05-2010
In the distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by K404 View Post
DDR3-2000 has been hit with the Crosshair 4 Formula. The divider is real

http://www.ocxtreme.org/forumenus/showthread.php?t=5812
That's the DDR3-1600 divider Coolaler is using.

(250MHz * 4) / 1 = 1000MHz

Old 04-05-2010
robo cop

El Gappo
Default Go

Would be very hard/impossible to boot into windows with any current chip at 2000mhz ram.
________
Marijuana Vaporizers

Last edited by El Gappo; 05-13-2011 at 18:43.