Go Back   HWBOT forum > Overclocking & benchmarking > AMD CPU Overclocking > AMD Thuban OC

AMD Thuban OC Share findings, overclockers, settings and pose questions about AMD's latest: Thuban

Old 05-14-2010
In the distance

Thanked 1,136 Times in 557 Posts
Massman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Massman
Default 1090T and MSI 790FX-GD70

Working through the remaining boards here at the lab, this time I'm testing the MSI 790FX-GD70. Nothing special at the moment, just testing the basic compatibility to see if there are major flaws.

SETUP:

- AMD Thuban 1090T
- MSI 790FX-GD70, bios variable
- Twintech 9600GT
- 2x 2GB OCZ Platinum DDR3-1600 CL8
- Antec TP 1KW

For all HWBOT community related questions, contact Christian Ney or Websmile. For any other questions, contact me at pieter@hwbot.org.
Old 05-14-2010
In the distance

Massman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura about

BIOS LOG

Several bioses have been thrown online that support the Thuban. I won't list them all here, just the latest one that fixes the C&Q functionality:

- Bios V1.12B2: link

For all HWBOT community related questions, contact Christian Ney or Websmile. For any other questions, contact me at pieter@hwbot.org.
Old 05-14-2010
In the distance

Initial results

As said before - quick test runs, so nothing spectacular.

Old 06-14-2010
In the distance

Last night I've attempted to open up the 200/266/333 memory dividers for Thuban using the 790FX-GD70. The modifications should've gone perfectly, being that the options are added as well as the registry settings for them (IIRC). Only problem is that selecting the bios option gives me the 1:2 divider and not the lower ones ... as if there's a limitation set to the lowest possible divider is 1:2.

The bios doesn't crash when saving the option, though, so I'm reluctant to say there's such limitation and maybe just something I've missed.

As you can see, three times 1:1 (added just one string to make it easy for myself) for 200/266/333 registry setting. I also removed th 1:2 just because I was able to.

Old 06-14-2010
In the distance

Another important note for all those who want to get the most out of their system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massman View Post
Nah. It's something a lot more stupid.

When setting unganged mode, you basically make the mem config 2x 64bit, so you need to have both DCT's configured. So, if you set unganged mode and want performance, you need to set the DRAM mode to 'both' and manually fix both DCT timings. If you don't, one DCT is set to SPD timings, I think.

Fixed my issues, so I asked MSI to implent a bios option that allows end users to set both by only typing in the timings manually once. a 'linked' option.

~ Massman - DDR3 @ 904MHz - 1011.2 marks MaxxMem

Old 04-14-2011
kitchen robot

johnson
Default Msi

This has been a long time coming as we've had a lot of 'nearly theres' from MSI. Its P35 boards were great, but the P45 series lacked the BIOS finesse and was left behind in a highly competitive market.