Go Back   HWBOT forum > HWBOT Information > Benchmark Rules

Benchmark Rules Subforum for discussion of benchmark rules

Old 05-12-2017
kitchen robot

ADVenturePO
Default Re: Elite vs rest of the World... but isn't it cheating?

Ha! Such a great personas have gathered. I almost have a Corona or the Full House gathered here .

Rule, sorry, I think You and Splave don't understand that benchmarking big CPUs and multiCPUs is a it different. It is very tight space to win, as mostly we can only get 108MHz BCLK. Average is 104-105 BCLK and standard is 103,5. All we can do is to regulate voltages, TDP, and BIOS options for the CPU. We do not have option to raise multiplier, we can only downgrade it on standard Xeons E5 & E7.

So when someone gets the score with the ES which has ability to have higher multiplier despite the same name, than this was a fair competition?

And please don't tell me about sacrifices My first 2x E5-2696 v3 took me 6 days and 296 starts. Believe me, it's not like i7. BCM and NUMA after has to be checked and established. Then the system WIN7 has to segregate cores into groups ... 3 minutes between benchmarks or BSODs.. what will happen can't be told

Thank You all for your voices in this discussion.
Old 05-12-2017
robot overlord

zeropluszero is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVenturePO View Post
there are some funny situations, when some (also mine) score is under attack with a standard CPU and than suddenly the 1st place is overtaken with an ES or QS with a strange multiplier on it. (BOX or OEM allows 32x but ES has 33x and CPU shows 3400Mhz with 98.80 BCLK)

How is this fair, that a 1st place is taken by a CPU with strangely multiplied BCLK, by someone from Elite, while it is obvious that no one beside Elite can score like that, because, even though there's a lot of ES and QS on the aftermarket sold in thousands, no one from other League can use it.
precisely what results and cpu are you referring to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RULE View Post
Because I'm a well know cheater
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massman View Post
the most responsible overclocker in the world: @zeropluszero
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0ud_sil3nc3 View Post
The only cpu's I give back are dead ones
Old 05-24-2017
You haz bag of sand?

chew*

Good read....

In Response to Chew's Goodbye Note (the unhealthy relation between company and community)

You really have no idea what sacrifices must be made to compete at this level and my case was probably a more extreme example than most....

Its a choice simple as that.......you choose to give up your life to excel and be noticed......or you choose to enjoy it as a hobby.

The real question is do you want to be a puppet or a puppet master? Are you willing to sacrifice your moral values and integrity for a handout?

Me personally when my hobby becomes a full time job I end up reaching the point where I despise it and become easily irritated......

I do not even submit anymore but I can certainly smash the elite guys on my own dime at will if I so chose to do so......will it change anything in real life? nope....

Last edited by chew*; 05-24-2017 at 21:22.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chew* For This Useful Post:
gavbon (06-01-2017), GtiJason (05-25-2017), Leeghoofd (05-25-2017), mr.paco (05-25-2017), Mr.Scott (05-24-2017)
Old 4 Days Ago
construction bot

No1Spank

I was going to buy an old engineering sample so I could move up to Elite league as it holds bragging rights outside of overclocking circles with PC gamers etc. Won't bother now I know it has to be a current gen sample.

The only ranks that matter to me is world rank and country rank (with country filter on world). Anything less than extreme doesn't sound good, as soon as people know you have some good scores on LN2 they will listen to your hardware advice.

I "upgrade" some peoples gaming rigs for them now as long as they let me run a few cheeky benches, also a good way to get legacy hardware that's not knackered.

I doubt I'll ever be sponsored as I'm too eager to slag off hardware I don't like and I can't be bought. Retail hardware is good in my opinion, it's the person on the bench that makes the difference. Most people aren't pushing as hard as they think they are. I've literally spent a whole day trying to gain a couple of points on a single benchmark, throwing everything at it. I'm always coming up with ways to eek out just that bit more performance with cheap cooling, because that's what overclocking is all about. That experience on ambirent cooling transfers nicely to LN2 and 24/7 gaming rigs.
Old 4 Days Ago
Banned by Mafio

Leeghoofd is a jewel in the roughLeeghoofd is a jewel in the roughLeeghoofd is a jewel in the roughLeeghoofd is a jewel in the rough

Sorry to buqqt your bubble but moving to Elite won't help you get samples at all... don't fall for the myth... you can move to elite without even using an ES sample or being sponsored... question is will it enhance the fun or not ?
Mr.Scott (4 Days Ago)
Old 4 Days Ago
construction bot

No1Spank

Just want to enhance my credability with non overclockers that I set up gaming rigs for.
My ultimate aim would be to be good enough for proper head to head competition, if there were any in my area I would enter.
Getting a decent bench with unlimited time is easy compared to being time limited against other people with the same kit.
I'll get higher in the world ranking before I go Elite as I think you need to be in a position to be worthy of that league.
Probably need another year or two yet or at least one or two exceptional benchmark results.

As far as fun goes I can't see it will make any difference, running a bench is running a bench.
Old 3 Days Ago
grunt bot

avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1Spank View Post
The only ranks that matter to me is world rank and country rank (with country filter on world). Anything less than extreme doesn't sound good, as soon as people know you have some good scores on LN2 they will listen to your hardware advice.
How so? You don't have to be super world overclocker to offer your client advice. It's know your stuff & your product. Advise as best you can a suitable fit.
Your insecurity that only Elite status will be enough as proven.

Judge yourself worthy for others to heed your advice? Ask yourself that.
Quote:
I doubt I'll ever be sponsored as I'm too eager to slag off hardware I don't like and I can't be bought.
^ Right there ... you set limits on yourself. That you'll biachslap trust put in you. Sponsorship then some of that costing on parts can be lightened.

Quote:
I've literally spent a whole day trying to gain a couple of points on a single benchmark, throwing everything at it. I'm always coming up with ways to eek out just that bit more performance with cheap cooling, because that's what overclocking is all about.
So are we all. Lots of effort all round.
_________

To be respected ... it's never about having #1 scores in the world. Do the best with what you have. Effort is what we are all judged on.

>>>>Blitzkrieg >>> auslöschen >> manövriert > Brilliant! Defeated you just don't know it yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to avalanche For This Useful Post:
No1Spank (3 Days Ago)
Old 3 Days Ago
Opera aficionado

Splave is a name known to allSplave is a name known to allSplave is a name known to allSplave is a name known to allSplave is a name known to allSplave is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1Spank View Post
Just want to enhance my credability with non overclockers that I set up gaming rigs for.
My ultimate aim would be to be good enough for proper head to head competition, if there were any in my area I would enter.
Getting a decent bench with unlimited time is easy compared to being time limited against other people with the same kit.
I'll get higher in the world ranking before I go Elite as I think you need to be in a position to be worthy of that league.
Probably need another year or two yet or at least one or two exceptional benchmark results.

As far as fun goes I can't see it will make any difference, running a bench is running a bench.
Tell them your name is splave on hwbot if it helps Lol!
The Following User Says Thank You to Splave For This Useful Post:
Leeghoofd (3 Days Ago)