Go Back   HWBOT forum > News > HWBOT Frontpage News

HWBOT Frontpage News Official HWBOT articles and frontpage news

HWBOT Implements New Community Forum Platform

If you are a regular forum user here on HWBOT you will no doubt have realized that there have been a few problems lately. The essence of the problem lies in the fact that the vBulletin v3.8 platform was somewhat outdated and therefore vulnerable to attack. To improve the community forum we are in the process of implementing a new forum platform.

For the time being, the old forum is still accessible and works as usual but we have begun implementing a wholly platform based on Invision Community software. You can go ahead and check it out here: https://community.hwbot.org/. All users who made one or more posts on the old forum will be able to login at the new one using the same login and password, however we do recommend you change your password for security reasons. The new forum platform is secured by a HTTPS protocol.

We have looked into migration tools to help move all the old content to the new forum, alas there are no perfect solutions with most solutions encountering formatting issues. To help migrate the important threads and posts (guides, how tos, advice and other generally useful content) we are asking users to volunteer to help with this process. Our first priority in terms of migration will be contest support and general HWBOT support threads. If you would like to help with the migration process, please email myself (stewart@hwbot.org) or Massman (pieter@hwbot.org). All help on this matter is massively appreciated as always.

By the end of the year we aim to shut down the old forum and will probably make it ?read only? at some point before then. Any and all questions can be aired here on this thread on the new HWBOT Forum.

Nov 8, 2017 - article - community.hwbot.org
Old 12-11-2017
grunt bot

WhiteWulfe

So uhm, what happened to this new forum? It doesn't pull up.
Old 12-11-2017
maintenance bot

Wimpzilla
Default Re: HWBOT Implements New Community Forum Platform

Same here, it get stuck loading the page: "Performing a TSL handshake to..."
Old 12-11-2017
transformer

newlife

Not going to use until full migration of old forum and will happily stop using hwbot if it doesn't happen because the fact you don't want to with the amount of info that is going to be lost is beyond a joke

And just to throw it out there OCAU recently migrated to XenForo without issue from vBulletin
Old 12-11-2017
robo cop

yosarianilives

Anyone asking about the website I heard from Websmile that they're looking into it. All the people who can fix it went to OCWC and were unavailable to contact
Old 1 Week Ago
HWBOT Forum Administrators

richba5tard has disabled reputation

Someone else did the setup so I can't troubleshoot it right now, but I suggest we move to invision forum as soon as we have developed the custom code to integrate it with the engine. Right now commenting on a score or news creates a forum topic, which is neat.

I see invision also support migrating the vbulletin database, which we definitely need to do.
Old 1 Week Ago
construction bot

bigblock990

Quote:
Originally Posted by richba5tard View Post
Someone else did the setup so I can't troubleshoot it right now, but I suggest we move to invision forum as soon as we have developed the custom code to integrate it with the engine. Right now commenting on a score or news creates a forum topic, which is neat.

I see invision also support migrating the vbulletin database, which we definitely need to do.
This is great news. Seems like the biggest gripe of the new forum was that we were going to lose the wealth of information located here.
Old 1 Week Ago
transformer

suzuki

Can you make it work with tapatalk,the old forum ?
It's a pain in the ass to acces it from mobile browser.
Old 1 Week Ago
HWBOT V.I.P.

Hyperhorn has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to Hyperhorn Send a message via MSN to Hyperhorn

Either I missed it or Hwbot didn't communicate it, but what is actually the reason to not *simply* (I know it's easier said than done) upgrade to a new Vbulletin version, but consider a whole new forum software?

I haven't checked the pricings of the alternatives, but in view of the ressources (time) needed for getting used to a new forum software, move existing content, bugfixing etc. I have a hard time to believe it makes sense from an economic standpoint. Also I'm pretty sure a lot of community members would be willing to chip in some bucks to save you unnecessary work and obtain a working, secure forum with recent security patches and a look and features they are (more) used to (than a completely new forum). As far as I can see, Hwbot doesn't use a lot of plug-ins/(optical) customizations that are bound to Vbulletin 3, so as a long-time user of Vbulletin, what is your view on Vbulletin 5/4?
Old 1 Week Ago
HWBOT Forum Administrators

richba5tard has disabled reputation

I checked out vbulletin 4/5 but I really don't like it subjectively. That, and it is no more effort to migrate to invision than to vbulletin 4+.

Pieter chose invision, and I must agree it seems like a good choice as the default look & feel is user friendly, and in contrary to vbulletin it offers a decent API to integrate it. Invision license is not free but affordable.
Old 1 Week Ago
ret(ard)ired OCer

Trouffman

Could a clear statement be made ?

Some content was partly (manually) transfered to the new forum as it was stated this would be the new place to go but the new forum does not load.

What could we expect about the following :
- Content created on the new forum can be accessed ?
- Content from the old forum (this one) could be migrated ?
- An expected time frame about this migration ?

Thank you
NB: good luck with such migration, it is usually painful

Last edited by Trouffman; 1 Week Ago at 02:49. Reason: wording