Go Back   HWBOT forum > >

Benchmark software Discuss benchmarking software.

User Tag List

Y-Cruncher Multi-Threaded Pi-Benchmark Updated with GUI and HWBOT Compatibility

y-cruncher is a benchmark program that computes Pi and other mathematical constants to the region of billions or even trillions of digits. The program was created to calculate the vastest Pi numbers possible and in fact holds the world record for the most ever recorded; 13.3 trillion to be exact. Previously only available sans user interface, our man Mystical has taken the time to create a more complete app that integrates a graphical user interface and the ability to submit on HWBOT.

Originally developed in 2009 as a high school project by Alexander J. Yee, y-cruncher is actually quite unique in a number of different ways. It?s the first Pi computing program that can use multiple threads for a near linear boost in calculation speed, it can also use and stress unlimited amounts of system memory and it also uses ISA extensions such as SSE and AVX available on most modern processors.

The new app created by Mystical is called the y-cruncher HWBOT Submitter. It's written in Java and requires Java 8 runtime to run. Note: y-cruncher itself has no requirements other than Windows Vista or later or above. The app includes three presets; Pi to 25 million digits, 1 billion digits and 10 billion digits. The 25 million digit run will complete in just under two seconds, whereas the 10 billion run will require 48GB of memory.

You can learn more about the y-cruncher HWBOT Submitter on the forum thread here.

Mar 28, 2016 - article - forum.hwbot.org
Old 03-24-2017
grunt bot

Mysticial
Default Re: Math turns benchmark: y-cruncher meets HWBOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by borandi View Post
No client version given, required version: 0.9.6 ?!

Using 0.9.6.114, submit through the interface.
I'll investigate tonight. I pushed an update a few days ago, but it's certainly possible that I broke something.
Old 03-25-2017
grunt bot

Mysticial

Quote:
Originally Posted by borandi View Post
No client version given, required version: 0.9.6 ?!

Using 0.9.6.114, submit through the interface.
I can't reproduce the issue. Submissions work fine for me. Can you give me more information? Such a screenshot of the error?
Old 07-02-2017
grunt bot

Mysticial

If anyone's wondering about AVX512. It's coming... No ETA yet since I've hit a number of unexpected snags.

If you're wondering why the chip is underclocked. There's a reason for that. And it's a long story.
Don't worry, it's much harder to fry your chip with AVX512 than I'm making it sound - unless you disable thermal protection...
Old 07-07-2017
grunt bot

Mysticial

And version 0.7.3 is out.

And here are the first few submissions on a Core i9 7900X @ 4.0 GHz (all-core AVX512) and memory @ 3200 MHz:
The AVX512 didn't bring as much of a speedup as I'd hoped. But it's still enough to beat all the Haswell and Broadwell HEDTs and come within arm's length of the dual-socket servers.