Go Back   HWBOT forum > >

HWBOT Development: bugs, features and suggestions Suggest new or discuss existing features.

Adjustment for Global Points - Work in progress

User Tag List

Unread 12-18-2015
In the distance

Massman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Massman
Default Adjustment for Global Points - Work in progress

As many of you know, recently there has been a couple of discussions about the distribution of global points. Below you can find the threads that reference this topic.To keep a long story short, the core of the issue is that due to XTU attracting a lot of active members, it yields the highest amount of global points. Along with XTU, the 2D benchmarks are also more popular than the 3D benchmarks in contemporary overclocking. The technical side of the problem is that the point algorithm is based on the popularity of a certain ranking to determine how much points are given. This has as effect:[list][*]Due to extreme high activity, XTU is maxed out in points[*]Due to diminishing popularity, the legacy and 3D benchmarks yield less points than 2D benchmarks

In other threads there's been plenty of discussion on how to address this problem. The main stream of thought is to add a "difficulty" parameter to the point algorithm. In this thread I want to explore a different path and propose a more technical solution to the current situation.
To keep things fairly simple: the HWBOT point function or equation has 6 parameters which determine how much points a given result yields. By adjusting these parameters we can change things like the maximum of points for a #1 position, the difference between the #1 and the rest of the top-10, the maximum amount of points in a given ranking, and so on. I've worked on adjusting these parameters to achieve the following goals:
  1. More benchmarks will hit the maximum participation and thus maximum points
  2. the maximum points for a #1 score increases to 200 (now 167)
  3. less steep point slope for top scores in global ranking
The adjustment is currently being tested on the UAT server (recalculation in progress) but is not final in design. The main discussion points are:
  1. How many global rankings should be at maximum point capacity?
  2. How steep should the point slope be for the global rankings?
I will update the thread when the recalculation on our UAT test server has completed. Below a bit more information about the various aspects of the adjustment.

1. Maximum Participation and Maximum Points

The point algorithm is a natural logarithm. The equation expresses the points of a given ranking as function of participation and position. Participation is measure as amount of unique users who submitted in a ranking in the past 365 days. There is a participation threshold set at 2000 participants. The threshold prevents the points from growing infinitely. It is this threshold that caps the XTU 4xCPU global ranking with over 17,000 participants from being excessively more valued than HWBOT Prime 4xCPU with about 1,800 participants this year. The most active 3D benchmark is 3DMark Fire Strike 1xGPU with close to 1,000 participants.

Note: take a moment to consider the algorithm is able to deal quite well with the XTU popularity.

The parameter adjustment is to lower the threshold to 1,000 participants. This will increase the amount of global rankings that hit the maximum points from 2 to 5 and the amount of ranking that are over half capacity from 1.5% to 8.3%. The five rankings are: XTU 4xCPU, XTU 2xCPU, XTU 6xCPU, HWBOT Prime 4xCPU and 3DMark Fire Strike 1xGPU.

If we would also enlarge the participation window from 1 year to 2 year, there would be 12 maxed out rankings and 14% of the rankings would be over half capacity.

2. Maximum Points for First Place

As you read in the previous section, the current maximum global points is 167pts at maximum participation. In the adjustment we will increase this to 200pts. This is mainly to avoid people losing points because of the adjustment.

Note that this will affect the balance between global and hardware points in the Overclockers League!

3. Point Slope in Global Ranking

The global points of any submission is derived from the points of first place in the ranking using a natural logarithm, except for second place and third place which are a fixed fraction. The current implementation has a very steep slope to reward the first place in a global ranking. This is to reward being the best in the ranking in times when binning was not such a widespread practice yet.

The adjument changes the slope quite drastically, increasing the points for second place from 75% to 95% of #1 and the points for third place from 56.25% to 92.5% of #1. From position 4 the points increase via updated parameters.

In a maxed out ranking, this means that the the point distribution is:
Code:
Pos.	Points

#1 	199.8 pts, currently 166.4 pts
#2 	189.8 pts, currently 124.8 pts
#3 	184.9 pts, currently 93.6 pts
#4 	179.9 pts, currently 64.8 pts
#5 	171.9 pts, currently 61.8 pts
#10 	147.0 pts, currently 52.6 pts
#50 	89.1 pts, currently 31.1 pts
#100	64.2 pts, currently 21.9 pts
#250	31.2 pts, currently 9.7 pts
#500	6.3 pts, currently 0.1 pts
#1000	0.1 pts, currently 0.1 pts
Attached Images
File Type: png glAdj.png (73.1 KB, 1476 views)
File Type: png glCur.png (50.3 KB, 1441 views)
File Type: png ptAdj.png (42.1 KB, 1470 views)
File Type: png ptCur.png (40.3 KB, 1471 views)

For all HWBOT community related questions, contact Christian Ney or Websmile. For any other questions, contact me at pieter@hwbot.org.
Unread 12-19-2015
robot overlord

TaPaKaH
Send a message via ICQ to TaPaKaH Send a message via Skype™ to TaPaKaH
Default Re: Adjustment for Global Points - Work in progress

So, a 300MHz overclock on a 6700K will score more points (~#175 in 4x XTU hence ~50 globals) than any hardware gold. Awesome!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TaPaKaH For This Useful Post:
d0minat0r (12-26-2015), I.nfraR.ed (12-21-2015), mllrkllr88 (08-05-2016), speed.fastest (12-21-2015), TerraRaptor (12-19-2015), vadimua (12-22-2015)
Unread 12-19-2015
In the distance

Massman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura about

"will" -> "would"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massman View Post
The adjustment is currently being tested on the UAT server (recalculation in progress) but is not final in design. The main discussion points are:
  1. How many global rankings should be at maximum point capacity?
  2. How steep should the point slope be for the global rankings?

For all HWBOT community related questions, contact Christian Ney or Websmile. For any other questions, contact me at pieter@hwbot.org.
Unread 12-19-2015
HWBot Staff & Forums Administrator

der8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to der8auer

I don't really understand how this fixes the 2D vs 3D "issue". To me this looks like everyone will just have more points XD

(I still think there is nothing to fix. 2D vs 3D is a simple natural result)
Unread 12-19-2015
In the distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by der8auer View Post
I don't really understand how this fixes the 2D vs 3D "issue". To me this looks like everyone will just have more points XD

(I still think there is nothing to fix. 2D vs 3D is a simple natural result)
Lower threshold = more rankings closer to max participation, including the 3D benchmarks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massman View Post
The parameter adjustment is to lower the threshold to 1,000 participants. This will increase the amount of global rankings that hit the maximum points from 2 to 5 and the amount of ranking that are over half capacity from 1.5% to 8.3%. The five rankings are: XTU 4xCPU, XTU 2xCPU, XTU 6xCPU, HWBOT Prime 4xCPU and 3DMark Fire Strike 1xGPU.

If we would also enlarge the participation window from 1 year to 2 year, there would be 12 maxed out rankings and 14% of the rankings would be over half capacity.

Unread 12-19-2015
grunt bot

Noxinite

Changing the slope of the points based on position makes sense more for HW pts than Global pts to me.

But otherwise the current points system seems to work - not perfectly, but it works. (If anything I would say there are too many global points for some benchmarks *shrugs*. But I prefer hardware points, so...)
Unread 12-19-2015
HWBot Staff & Forums Administrator

der8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to der8auer

Ah okay now I get it. It could be a solution but the question is: Is the "solution" the correct path?

In the end 3D mainly has a lower participation because of the price. A competitive rig for 3D is always at least double the price than a 2D rig.
Adjusting the points in this direction would also adjust it more into the "money-game-direction".
I mean it's not like everyone has 980Ti cards laying around but is just too lazy to bench them.

Last edited by der8auer; 12-19-2015 at 01:17.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to der8auer For This Useful Post:
aerotracks (12-19-2015), Aleslammer (12-20-2015), Alex@ro (12-19-2015), kimandsally (07-18-2016), max1024 (07-15-2016), Mr.Scott (12-19-2015), NoMS (12-19-2015), saint19 (12-28-2015), websmile (12-19-2015), WhiteWulfe (12-19-2015)
Unread 12-19-2015
grunt bot

WhiteWulfe

Will similar changes be occurring to hardware points as well, especially in regards to thresholds?
Unread 12-19-2015
robo cop

aerotracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by der8auer View Post
I mean it's not like everyone has 980Ti cards laying around but is just too lazy to bench them.
This.

Also, another problem was that mainstream graphics cards like GTX 970 aren't worth benching. This would be fixed to some degree I guess, but it will still be "get in line after 980Ti*".
*unless some idiot accidentally underclocks one
Fortunately with 2D globals it's not 5960X or GTFO.

Last edited by aerotracks; 12-19-2015 at 02:50.
Unread 12-19-2015
robot overlord

zeropluszero is on a distinguished road

Frankly, I don't really care about the points system, I'll just see how I'm doing after the fact and keep benching what I want to/can afford.

What I want to see, is those who have an opinion really put that forth, and have their thoughts really listened to by Pieter and/or whoever else determines these things. Create a poll, ask people to vote for what they want, and then go with that poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RULE View Post
Because I'm a well know cheater...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zeropluszero For This Useful Post:
Leeghoofd (07-15-2016), Massman (12-19-2015), speed.fastest (12-21-2015), xxbassplayerxx (12-22-2015)