Go Back   HWBOT forum > Overclocking & benchmarking > Benchmark software

Benchmark software Discuss benchmarking software.

Y-Cruncher Multi-Threaded Pi-Benchmark Updated with GUI and HWBOT Compatibility

y-cruncher is a benchmark program that computes Pi and other mathematical constants to the region of billions or even trillions of digits. The program was created to calculate the vastest Pi numbers possible and in fact holds the world record for the most ever recorded; 13.3 trillion to be exact. Previously only available sans user interface, our man Mystical has taken the time to create a more complete app that integrates a graphical user interface and the ability to submit on HWBOT.

Originally developed in 2009 as a high school project by Alexander J. Yee, y-cruncher is actually quite unique in a number of different ways. It?s the first Pi computing program that can use multiple threads for a near linear boost in calculation speed, it can also use and stress unlimited amounts of system memory and it also uses ISA extensions such as SSE and AVX available on most modern processors.

The new app created by Mystical is called the y-cruncher HWBOT Submitter. It's written in Java and requires Java 8 runtime to run. Note: y-cruncher itself has no requirements other than Windows Vista or later or above. The app includes three presets; Pi to 25 million digits, 1 billion digits and 10 billion digits. The 25 million digit run will complete in just under two seconds, whereas the 10 billion run will require 48GB of memory.

You can learn more about the y-cruncher HWBOT Submitter on the forum thread here.

Mar 28, 2016 - article - forum.hwbot.org
Old 03-25-2016
grunt bot

Mysticial
Arrow Math turns benchmark: y-cruncher meets HWBOT

I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with the y-cruncher Multi-Threaded Pi Program.

It's been around for quite a while now (since 2009). In short, it's a program that computes Pi and other constants to billions/trillions of digits. It currently holds the world record for the most digits of Pi ever computed (13.3 trillion digits) as well as a bunch of other less popular constants.

y-cruncher is also the first Pi computing program that can:
  • Use multiple threads for a worthwhile (sometimes linear) speedup.
  • Use (and stress) an unlimited amount of memory.
  • Utilize ISA extensions (SSE, AVX, etc...) for nearly all modern processors.
There has been some hope that it could be a SuperPi/PiFast alternative. But that never really happened.

Over the years, I've been asked numerous times why this program never became part of HWBOT. In fact, I've had many chats with Massman. But none of them really got anywhere until recently. Also, the fact that the program lacks a GUI didn't really help either. And to be fair, y-cruncher was designed as a math program with one purpose in mind - to break size records. Competitive benchmarking and user-friendliness was always secondary.

Official XtremeSystems thread here. (Though it's been a while since I've updated it.)

-----

Anyways. It took about a week of work, but I've thrown together an app complete with a GUI that can run and submit y-cruncher benchmarks to HWBOT.

This app is called the "y-cruncher HWBOT Submitter". It's written in Java and requires the Java 8 runtime to run. (y-cruncher itself has no requirements other than Windows Vista or later.)

For now, I've only enabled 3 benchmarks for HWBOT:
The 25m benchmark will go under a few seconds for modern hardware. That's too fast, so we'll probably drop that at some point. The only reason it exists in the first place is because it's fast and easy to test.

The 1b benchmark is the standard size. It requires about 5 GB of ram to run and will take a few minutes to run for most high-end systems.

The 10b benchmark will require 48 GB of ram. That basically implies a minimum of Skylake, Haswell-E, or some server. If you don't have enough memory, it's possible to run it using swap mode. But that's more complicated to setup and will be slower than doing it all in memory.

How does it work?

Anyone who's familiar with y-cruncher will know that it outputs a validation file at the end of every computation. The submitter app is a runnable .jar file that you can put in the y-cruncher folder.

When you run it, it automatically searches out all the validation files and verifies the checksums in them. The ones that are valid and match a supported HWBOT size are available for submission to HWBOT.

The submitter app is a wrapper on top of y-cruncher itself. No changes to y-cruncher were needed for this to happen. And quite frankly, I designed it this way so that I could keep all the Java networking/GUI separate from the 300,000 lines of ugly C++ that is y-cruncher.

Download:

Current y-cruncher version: 0.7.3.9471
Current HWBOT submitter version: 0.9.7.116

If you already have y-cruncher (v0.6.6 or later), you can download just the HWBOT Submitter and place it in the y-cruncher folder.Otherwise, you can download this entire package which has both y-cruncher and the submitter.
Version Support:

The submitter app:
  • Supports all validation files generated by y-cruncher v0.6.1 - v0.7.3. So you can retroactively submit old benchmarks if you still have the validation files for them.
  • Supports benchmark integration with y-cruncher v0.6.6 - v0.7.3.
Despite being written in Java, the submitter app does not run in Linux (at least I couldn't get it to run). But at the very least, validation files generated in Linux can still be submitted to HWBOT if you transfer it to Windows and run the submitter app there.

I have yet to figure out why it's broken in Linux, but it seems to involve the JavaFX library. In any case, even if someone does manage get it to run, the benchmark integration will still be broken since it uses Windows-specific command-line parameters to launch y-cruncher.

Version History:

Main Page: http://www.numberworld.org/y-crunche...istory_ui.html

Last edited by Mysticial; 07-07-2017 at 07:31.
Old 03-27-2016
In the distance

Massman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Massman
Default Re: Math turns benchmark: y-cruncher meets HWBOT

Thanks for this - I really like Y-cruncher, especially for testing big memory configs. It seems that 25m might be a bit too easy for the current systems as we're already below 2 seconds. Maybe swap this one out for a more heavy test than 1b?

I wouldn't mind seeing a test which requires 32GB memory or more ... just to see how the high density guys clock their gear!

For all HWBOT community related questions, contact Christian Ney or Websmile. For any other questions, contact me at pieter@hwbot.org.
Old 03-27-2016
In the distance

Massman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Massman

Just tried the submitter - I'm very impressed with the way you handled the flow from bench to submit!

One issue though, I can't seem to submit my Pi-25m result. I'm using the "y-cruncher v0.6.9 with HWBOT Submitter"

For all HWBOT community related questions, contact Christian Ney or Websmile. For any other questions, contact me at pieter@hwbot.org.

Last edited by Massman; 03-27-2016 at 10:34.
Old 03-27-2016
transformer

newlife

That's some awesome news
Old 03-27-2016
grunt bot

Mysticial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massman View Post
Just tried the submitter - I'm very impressed with the way you handled the flow from bench to submit!

One issue though, I can't seem to submit my Pi-25m result. I'm using the "y-cruncher v0.6.9 with HWBOT Submitter"
Ugh... I tested this thing on at least 4 different computers before I felt confident enough it would work.

I'm unable to reproduce it locally, but HWBOT.org is intermittently timing out. (not sure if that's in any way relevant)

How consistently are you getting that error? Is 100%, what about on other machines? As of right now, there's no way for me to debug it unless I have it output both the datafile and the server-sent error message.

(Btw, I'm willing to share the source code of the submitter app with HWBOT if that makes anything easier.)
Old 03-27-2016
Never send a human to do a machine's job.

GENiEBEN

Java.
Old 03-28-2016
robo cop

skulstation

same here.
evri time i try to submid i have this error.
Old 03-28-2016
robot overlord

sdougal
Default Y-Cruncher Multi-Threaded Pi-Benchmark Updated with GUI and HWBOT Compatibility

http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.ph...309#post438309
Old 03-28-2016
grunt bot

Mysticial

Quote:
Originally Posted by skulstation View Post
same here.
evri time i try to submid i have this error.
Thanks. Since this is happening with more than one person and HWBOT.org is stable atm, then it's a problem with the app itself.

I'll push out an update (hopefully tonight) that will log the datafile and error message that HWBOT sends back.
Old 03-28-2016
robo cop

skulstation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticial View Post
Thanks. Since this is happening with more than one person and HWBOT.org is stable atm, then it's a problem with the app itself.

I'll push out an update (hopefully tonight) that will log the datafile and error message that HWBOT sends back.
ok thx.have the same error on my wifes Laptop whit win 8