Go Back   HWBOT forum > Overclocking & benchmarking > AMD CPU Overclocking > Bulldozer OC

Bulldozer OC Welcome to AMD construction yard. Please insert coin to play.

Old 11-22-2011
Really Xtremely Doomed

Hondacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M.O.G. View Post
The most important part of a review: Is it verifiable? In science, that is the key to testing and proving things - can the results be reproduced/verified?

In reviews, if you say how the test was performed and what the result was - anyone using the same platform should have all the information necessary to reproduce similar results, verifying the accuracy of your results.

If you are tweaking the default OS install in order to modify the results you achieve in a review, this should be clearly stated in the review. If it is, you are good to go. Many people are not aware of tweaks like this which optimize for multi-threaded extraction/compression performance under HT.

If Windows hasn't released a fix to actually resolve the reported bug, I'd suggest that the performance results given from manually tweaking the registry could give most people the wrong impression about the performance they are likely to see from the processor in their system at home... Unless they are willing to edit the registry as you describe in your review.

Do you know of any power usage impact? The change disables core parking, which is described here as a power saving feature.
microsoft will prolly release a patch for it...
Old 11-22-2011
transformer

I.M.O.G.
Send a message via AIM to I.M.O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
microsoft will prolly release a patch for it...
I don't think there is any basis upon which to suggest or believe that. It looks like the core parking issue has been well documented across the internet since October 2009, for example:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?high=&m=1852473

Like you, I would like to think Microsoft would patch something like this - but they haven't and I don't know if that is because they don't consider it a bug, or maybe it saves power, or maybe they don't care. Dunno, but after it being a known issue for over 2 years, I wouldn't expect them to release a fix for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devroush on HWBOT View Post
Of course it will be bug free, I only write flawless code.
Old 11-22-2011
transformer

flanker is on a distinguished road

HondaCity: I dont think it....It will be maybe in windows8, Windows7 is "dead" for Microsoft, they focus for win8 last months.
Old 11-22-2011
Banned by Mafio

Leeghoofd is a jewel in the roughLeeghoofd is a jewel in the roughLeeghoofd is a jewel in the roughLeeghoofd is a jewel in the rough

I agree with Flanker , prolly no patch will appear for any of the CPUs. I even doubt win8 will be even it...

Last edited by Leeghoofd; 11-22-2011 at 10:56.
Old 11-22-2011
In the distance

Massman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Massman

Isn't the whole point of being an enthusiast that we try to figure out bottlenecks and work around them if necessary? CPC comparisons at overclocked speeds, max clock performance comparisons, performance scaling articles ... they're all meant to have greater insight in how the platform behaves and how it works.

Most power users find some issues and try to solve them. For instance, I spend a lot of time on Bulldozer 3DMark11 to find out there's something strange with memory divider and memory performance. OBR saw there is something strange in WinRAR with the Intel CPUs, so he found out what the bug was.

That's just what being an enthusiast is all about. For regular people, I'm sure someone will just make a patch and people will use the patch if it gives massive performance gain. In the past, we've all updated our OS with patches to gain performance ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanker View Post
Massman: It is simillary as this idea:
IMC of SB 1155 is 1333 MHz
Link?

For all HWBOT community related questions, contact Christian Ney or Websmile. For any other questions, contact me at pieter@hwbot.org.
Old 11-22-2011
Banned by Sin0822

thebanik

Quote:
Massman: It is simillary as this idea:
IMC of SB 1155 is 1333 MHz, no more (if u want believe me, download datasheet). FX has 1866 MHz default IMC. So than why people tetsing both platforms with 1600 MHz usually?
Isnt that a contradictory statement??? Reviewers change these settings to show that given equal opportunity what a platform/cpu/another hardware can do, if we were to run everything on manufacturer suggested settings, then we should go ahead and publish the results from Reviewers guides that manufacturers send us.

Quote:

Or looks at some boards and Turbo ratio. SOme boards for SB-dt has classic Intel turbo at default setings-, but some boards performed more better, because here is modified turbo (some ASUS and Gigabyte boards). If is somethink default, I testing with this default, no changing it for "review". For interesting value I can show people some tweaks etc, of course, this is right. This thought is not about my AMD or Intel fans....
Again, if you are not letting your readers know about the difference in boards default settings and how it would affect its users, then you are not doing your job properly???? If you are comparing motherboards, and you let the default turbo mode ON where some are running 3.9Ghz and some at 3.8Ghz then its not really a fair review.
Old 11-23-2011
transformer

the banik: To boards reviews...Why not? 99.9% users dont overclocking. Only the buy some components and put it in. Yes, this is reality. If one board will have diferent turbo at default BIOS setings, why not? It is added value of product. This added value in diferent turbo can have a bit negative side in power consumption. Of course, but good reviewer in review must this all aspect explain. This is my assumption.

Massman:
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...datasheet.html part of 1.2.1 (of course, SB-E has not 1333, but 1600 MHz)

http://www.amd.com/us/products/deskt...-features.aspx
or details here: http://support.amd.com/us/Processor_TechDocs/49686.pdf

easy ,-)

Last edited by flanker; 11-23-2011 at 10:19.
Old 11-23-2011
kitchen robot

Le085

Hi guys.Thanks to this thread we are gone a little bit more in depth to Core Parking: http://www.xtremehardware.it/eng-rev...-201111226092/

We measured also power consumption under load and we have seen no changes at all with core parking enabled or disabled under load (WinRAR)
This will proabably mean that leaving Core parking enabled could lead to higher power consumption under winrar because the system take several more time to compress the file (while the consumption does not change at all).
Maybe this is because HT is an almost virtual feature and the real core is still enabled and working.

Last edited by Le085; 11-23-2011 at 10:03.
Old 11-23-2011
transformer

very interesting with power consumption.
Old 11-23-2011
In the distance

Massman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Massman

I agree with Flanker when he says that the reviewer needs to clearly state how results are obtained or if there's a reason why a certain product is faster or slower. For instance, for the Sandy Bridge-E mainboard comparisons, the reviewer should always point out that one board is faster than the other because it has a fixed turbo frequency of 39x. That fixed turbo frequency is a feature of the board's BIOS and if this feature is enabled on all the retail boards, it's important for end-users to know.

The same goes for this registry tweak. An editor could write that Bulldozer appears to be quicker in WinRAR, but that it's due to a bug in windows causing the application not to make full use of all the hardware's features. And, that with a simple registry tweak, you can improve the performance easily.

Quote:
Massman:
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...datasheet.html part of 1.2.1 (of course, SB-E has not 1333, but 1600 MHz)

easy ,-)
Not so easy. I've been looking for information on the IMC/ring frequency for a long time now, but it's documented nowhere. I don't see anything in that particular section of the documentation that specifies the IMC frequency running at DDR3-1333. All I see are references to transfer rates and DDR3 frequencies, with 1333MHz being the highest officially supported DRAM frequency on SB and DDR3-1600 being the highest officially supported on SB-E.

We don't know how fast the IMC is running. It can be 1:1 with the CPU frequency, it can be 1:1 with memory (although I seriously doubt that). It might be 2:3, maybe even 1:2 ... we can only guess.

For all HWBOT community related questions, contact Christian Ney or Websmile. For any other questions, contact me at pieter@hwbot.org.