Go Back   HWBOT forum > Overclocking & benchmarking > Benchmark software

Benchmark software Discuss benchmarking software.

New Benchmark Coming Soon: HWBOT x265 Benchmark (encoding in 1080P and 4K)

Not so long after a successful integration of the GPUPI benchmark developed by Matthias from overclockers.at, we will soon feature another new benchmark with submission API functionality: HWBOT x265 Benchmark.

The benchmark is developed by Czech overclocker Havli who is home to hw-museum.cz. The benchmarks renders a video in 1080P or 4K resolution using the x265/HEVC encoder. It can take advantage of modern CPU instructions set and multi-threaded. The benchmark is also capable of running even on old gear such as Athlon XP, be it rather slowly of course. The benchmark supports two presets: 1080P and 4K.

The integration with HWBOT is similar to GPUPI: it supports both direct submission from the application as well as saving the data file to submit at a later point in time. Currently the benchmark is in alpha phase. You can download a version from the forum thread located HERE. The alpha version has been tested by our software team (read: Genieben) and it is solid enough to soon move to the beta phase. During the beta phase we will host a small competition so the hardcore competitive overclockers can put the benchmark through its paces.

It's nice to see a real-world rendering benchmark with solid API support come to life. With the right tweaking and tuning, I'm sure it will be as successful as GPUPI!

Aug 18, 2015 - article - forum.hwbot.org
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Fully capable of playing games

Mr.Scott is on a distinguished road
Default Re: HWBOT x265 Benchmark

I get it.
Thanks.
I'll try the work around.

Warp9-systems, the Antichrist of competitive benchmarking.
Loved by thousands, hated by millions.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
kitchen robot

terrabyte

Hi Everyone, I know this is a long shot but I was wondering if anyone has experience or ideas about running this benchmark properly on an older magny-cours opteron setup.

Running 4x 12 core 6170 CPUs, 48 cores in total. For starters the benchmark only seems to show 36 cores and 3 CPUs in the GUI, but I thought that might just be an anomaly. Running the benchmark itself though is pretty damn slow. Using the built in monitoring it shows around 80% CPU usage, but windows server 2008 Perf mon shows around 30% (which I'm more inclined to believe judging by the speed). I've tried every variation of overkill (2-12x) but I can't seem to get it to utilize even half of my CPU power. I was wondering if maybe it's because they don't support some of the newer instruction sets?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks guys
Old 3 Weeks Ago
robo cop

havli

Hi,

that is a very nice system you have. Unfortunately to get somewhat good score in x265, you need at least SSE4.1 compatible CPU. K10 doesn't even support SSSE3 and because of that the fps is very low. Using overkill will help to some extent... but not much. 15h Opterons are much faster on the G34 platform.

I'm aware of the wrong cores count in GUI on this kind of systems... but why it doesn't work properly I'm not sure. Anyway it is for display only, has no effect on score or anything else.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
kitchen robot

terrabyte

Thank you for getting back to me. That's a shame, but they are pretty old tech so I should have expected that! I do have some bulldozer architecure opterons around somewhere (62xx) so will try them out as they have sse4.1 I believe.