Go Back   HWBOT forum > >

HWBOT Frontpage News Official HWBOT articles and frontpage news

User Tag List

AMD AGESA Update for May Improves DDR4 Memory Compatibility and Performance

According to an interview with Forbes magazine AMD have managed to improve the memory compatibility and performance of their new Ryzen architecture processors. A new AGESA update will help resolve the issues that many users are encountering when trying to push memory clock speeds beyond 3,000MHz. According to TechPowerUp:

AMD confirmed that its AGESA update for May improves DDR4 memory compatibility, although it also stressed on the need for motherboard manufacturers to improve their board designs in the future, with more PCB layers and better copper traces between the DIMM slots and the SoC socket. The company assures that more updates to AGESA are in the pipeline, and would improve performance of Ryzen processors at various levels. The AGESA updates are dispensed through motherboard vendors as BIOS updates.?

Alva ?Lucky_n00b? Jonathan, writing for JagatReview is also tentatively confirming the improvements which include a new array of sub-timings that allow for looser timings, higher speeds and better performance. He notes how the new update brings a 10% boost in performance for Hynix IC Ram with DDR4-2933, an 8-9% performance improvement with Samsung B-die IC at DDR4-3200 and extra stability with certain Hynix modules at DDR4-3200 speeds.

You can find the interview with James Prior and Robert Hallock here at Forbes.com, as well as this article from TechPowerUp. You can also find the testing data from Alva here on JagatReview (Google Translate).

May 19, 2017 - article - techpowerup.com
Unread 05-19-2017
robot overlord

sdougal
Default AMD AGESA Update for May Improves DDR4 Memory Compatibility and Performance

Discuss here...
Unread 05-19-2017
In the distance

Thanked 1,049 Times in 523 Posts
Massman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Massman
Default Re: AMD AGESA Update for May Improves DDR4 Memory Compatibility and Performance

Thanks @Lucky_n00b for testing!!

For all HWBOT community related questions, contact Christian Ney or Websmile. For any other questions, contact me at pieter@hwbot.org.
Unread 05-19-2017
transformer

Lucky_n00b is on a distinguished road
Default Re: AMD AGESA Update for May Improves DDR4 Memory Compatibility and Performance

Now waiting for other motherboard to implement the AGESA update to allow subtimings to be changed, it should be fun again
Unread 05-22-2017
transformer

flanker is on a distinguished road

Alva, can you compare it in SUperpi also?
Unread 05-22-2017
transformer

Lucky_n00b is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanker View Post
Alva, can you compare it in SUperpi also?
I'll probably do more test in the AGESA 1006 version - it should have memory multiplier more than 3200
Unread 05-23-2017
You haz bag of sand?

chew*

the problem with PI is not the timings tbh......me an zen have times on other boards that far exceed anyone else and that was without the update.....

You will see soon enough.....

With timings and everything else unlocked......we are only going to get faster.
Lucky_n00b (05-23-2017)
Unread 05-23-2017
robot overlord

I.nfraR.ed

I was away for a while and flashed the new beta bios yesterday. Did a really quick test, but odd CAS is still impossible at higher straps. Unless I'm doing something wrong. Can't go lower than tWCL10 either (at 3200 strap).
Booted 3333 strap with Hynix memory and full manual timings though, so it appears to be working. Hopefully will get some time to go back to Pi.
Unread 05-23-2017
You haz bag of sand?

chew*

C9 works @ 1866 strap.

Odds you know where they work.

Pi on ryzen is tricky..

Preety much everything you think you know about pi...toss it in the trash.

3200 without refclock and without subs can beat 3600....if ran right.