Go Back   HWBOT forum > News > HWBOT Frontpage News

HWBOT Frontpage News Official HWBOT articles and frontpage news

Closed Thread

[Video] GPU Thermal Paste Application, the Buildzoid Methodology

It never ceases to amaze me just how much overclockers agree on virtually nothing. Not ever it seems. From motherboard insulation, to simple CPU pot mountings and even paper towels, consensus is pretty damn hard to find. One such topic of debate is the simple act of thermal paste application. There are different ways to apply thermal paste to a CPU or GPU before mounting the cooler; a small ball, long strips, crosses etc are all techniques favored by some overclockers, and equally derided by others. One man who is never short of an opinion or ten is Buildzoid. Today we bring you the Buildzoid way to apply thermal paste to a GPU in preparation for some LN2-based, subzero overclocking.

The graphics card in question is the latest AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 card, but in fact the advice Buildzoid has to share would I?m sure be applicable to most high-end, full bore GPUs. The GPU LN2 pot he uses is the ECC Raptor 4 from der8aeur which as Buildzoid notes, offers sufficient clearance for the chokes on the PCB. Buildzoid has successfully got his Vega GPU down to temps of -130 C without cracking and reckons thermal paste application is a major factor in making this happen.

His thermal paste of choice is the popular Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. He starts by applying direct from the tube to the GPU Vega core, dabbing a small amount to each of the corners. He then mounts the LN2 pot briefly so that he has an outline of where the paste connected with the pot. He then applies paste to the LN2 pot in a relatively thick lines from corner to corner to the other, then spreading it out to cover the surface of the pot. He then goes back to the GPU, adding plenty of paste to the edges of the GPU. He is very generous with the paste.

He goes on to reveal plenty of techniques that he?s picked up from other overclockers and offers plenty of advice along the way. Thanks for sharing as ever Buildzoid. You can catch the video here on the Actually Hardcore Overclocking YouTube channel where there?s a ton of live extreme OC sessions, PCB breakdowns and more.

You can discuss this post in the HWBOT Community Forum here.

Dec 5, 2017 - article - youtu.be
Old 1 Week Ago
transformer

Dancop
Default [Video] GPU Thermal Paste Application, the Buildzoid Methodology

I know the guy who told him this
Old 1 Week Ago
robot overlord

steponz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: [Video] GPU Thermal Paste Application, the Buildzoid Methodology

Lol someone who can't bench gpu giving there method.. hahah
Old 1 Week Ago
robot overlord

l0ud_sil3nc3 is a jewel in the roughl0ud_sil3nc3 is a jewel in the roughl0ud_sil3nc3 is a jewel in the roughl0ud_sil3nc3 is a jewel in the rough

This noob is the king of recycling other people's information. At least give credit where credit is due. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sin0822 View Post
whats LOD?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
If you can't beat 'em, report them! lol
Old 1 Week Ago
kitchen robot

Infuriare

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0ud_sil3nc3 View Post
This noob is the king of recycling other people's information. At least give credit where credit is due. . .
Uh, he did? 4:15 into the video.
Old 1 Week Ago
robot overlord

zeropluszero is on a distinguished road

Yeh but I'd have to watch 4mins of the video....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RULE View Post
Because I'm a well know cheater
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massman View Post
the most responsible overclocker in the world: @zeropluszero
Quote:
The only cpu's I give back are dead ones
The Following User Says Thank You to zeropluszero For This Useful Post:
l0ud_sil3nc3 (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago
Opera aficionado

Splave is a name known to allSplave is a name known to allSplave is a name known to allSplave is a name known to allSplave is a name known to allSplave is a name known to all

you guys are savage lol
The Following User Says Thank You to Splave For This Useful Post:
zeropluszero (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago
maintenance bot

Wimpzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splave View Post
you guys are savage lol
Not savage, ignorant would be the right term, to be so disrespectful!

Also a mod should punish these kind of behaviors, especially toward users that share knowledge, that's why forums exist in the first place.

Maybe with a month or two without the ability to sub, since it is the only thing these gentlemen understand!

Sharing is what these gentlemen do not or only between them maybe, to fear their precious point fly away!

Pathetic behavior again!

Last edited by Wimpzilla; 1 Week Ago at 18:13.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wimpzilla For This Useful Post:
Infuriare (1 Week Ago), mickulty (6 Days Ago), speed.fastest (1 Week Ago), zeropluszero (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago
robot overlord

zeropluszero is on a distinguished road

Quote:
you guys are savage lol
When Vince makes a video I'll be sure to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RULE View Post
Because I'm a well know cheater
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massman View Post
the most responsible overclocker in the world: @zeropluszero
Quote:
The only cpu's I give back are dead ones
Old 1 Week Ago
Opera aficionado

Splave is a name known to allSplave is a name known to allSplave is a name known to allSplave is a name known to allSplave is a name known to allSplave is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimpzilla View Post
Not savage, ignorant would be the right term, to be so disrespectful!

Also a mod should punish these kind of behaviors, especially toward users that share knowledge, that's why forums exist in the first place.

Maybe with a month or two without the ability to sub, since it is the only thing these gentlemen understand!

Sharing is what these gentlemen do not or only between them maybe, to fear their precious point fly away!

Pathetic behavior again!
I understand sharing good info for sure, but you can ask the source of the info who asked not to share it how he feels especially when used to profit themselves.

Sharing with your team on your home forum is good but sharing on hwbot is almost silly imo. This is a place of competition. Should Mercedes-Benz share all of their technology secrets with BMW because hey we all like cars here.
Old 1 Week Ago
maintenance bot

Wimpzilla

Quote:
I understand sharing good info for sure, but you can ask the source of the info who asked not to share it how he feels especially when used to profit themselves.

Sharing with your team on your home forum is good but sharing on hwbot is almost silly imo. This is a place of competition. Should Mercedes-Benz share all of their technology secrets with BMW because hey we all like cars here.
Did you gentlemen thanks the guy who discovered the penicillin each time you got and antibiotic, by the way the guy was called Alexander Fleming’s.

Did you thanks the guy responsible for the field effect transistor each time you break a record, for you info it was these guys, Julius Edgar Lilienfeld, Oskar Heil were the first to patent it.

Nope! Nope! And maybe here, but nope!

So now if we would be 10/15 years ago, would be a such discussion even possible? When each of you gentlemen were learning how to and exchange information in the process, maybe happy to find out what you needed on a forum?

We should patent a such basic thing nowadays, as how apply thermal paste on a gpu, because of LN2 competition and point earning!

This thing is silly, no matter what! Not wanted to share information by the fear to loose your points, because: "hey i'm so good at oc that all my skills lies into thermal paste application!"

At least be respectful toward others and don't belittle them if you don't want to share, just don't share at this point! That what it is mostly missing on the top of preaching patenting oc techniques as a company!

And to be fully honest, i'm not happy either that each TIME i want to have a picture of the rig used to break fancy record, i got instead in the submission a nice smiley saying: "nope i will not share that!"
Posting a real picture of what you are doing should be mandatory, another thing that HWBOT mods allow you to do to preserve your secrets! But to be honest it should be mandatory to post a real picture of the actual rig, to allow other to check what you are doing, since it is an open competition, as you clearly mention, not a close one!

This is another issue that come along the past discussion for binned sponsored cpu in the submissions!

Last edited by Wimpzilla; 1 Week Ago at 17:58.
Closed Thread