Go Back   hwbot.org > HWBOT > HWBOT Development: bugs, features and suggestions

HWBOT Development: bugs, features and suggestions Suggest new or discuss existing features.

View Poll Results: What do you think?
Yes, absolutely yes. 4 7.69%
I like the concept, but want to discuss more. 3 5.77%
I don't like the concept, but want to discuss more. 2 3.85%
Nope, bad idea. 43 82.69%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2012, 01:03
Abhorrently evil braindead kind-hearted money-driven child-hating short-sighted hardware-sharing cheating
macho nacho supreme discriminating clueless idiot boy genius with sense of humor

Send a message via MSN to Massman
Default Grace period for new hardware releases

This idea came up in another thread recently and I noticed some people were for it and some against, so figured it might be interesting to have a poll on this.

Background

With the 7970 being so powerful, its release had quite an effect on the rankings. The old-gend GTX580 used to be king of the hill, but even a stock-cooled 7970 can beat those scores now. The main issue is that availability isn't optimal around the globe and it sort of gives an unfair advantage to those who can buy one straight away at launch and those who don't.

Idea

As a buffer to this effect of new hardware releases, we could install a 'grace period' during which submissions with the new technology doesn't affect the user rankings. This means that for a certain period of time, having access to the latest greatest before the rest of the world would not benefit you instantly in the rankings.

How it works (example)

So, let's assume the following for the upcoming GTX 780:

- official media launch: April 1st
- official retail launch: April 15th

The Grace Period for new releases could, for instance, be:

- pro oc league: 0 days
- overclockers league: 14 days
- enthusiast league: 21 days

In which case, points acquired from GTX 780 submissions would contribute to your personal total:

- pro oc league: April 1st
- overclockers league: April 30th
- enthusiast league: May 5th

Applicable hardware

As far as I'm concerned it's only necessary to use this grace period for big new releases and not really necessary to apply it to every single piece of hardware (ie: low-end GTS 750). The main effect is on the global rankings, not the hardware rankings.

FYI - these would be the hardware that had grace periods over the last couple of years:

- X79 platform
- Sandy Bridge platform
- Bulldozer (lol)
- GTX 580
- GTX 480
Old 01-12-2012, 01:30

Send a message via ICQ to Sam OCX Send a message via MSN to Sam OCX Send a message via Skype™ to Sam OCX

You can give it any period you want - it just doesn't make sense. Besides, it usually takes over 2 weeks (more like two months) for software, availability and mods to mature.
Being able to get to buy hardware first has always been a "part of the game", early scores will drop in ranks very quickly anyway.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:39
construction bot

Agreed...

Nice to see forward thinking, but I don't think it's necessary in this case.

Work on knocking out some of the other bugs instead.

-David
Old 01-12-2012, 01:40
Wish I was massman.

I don't really like it either. On one hand, the people with old hardware feel slighted when the new hardware comes out...but what about the people that spend thousands on the new hardware?
Old 01-12-2012, 01:54
nVidia FTW!

Location: Glasgowvic, Scotistan. Great Kingdom of United Britain..

Agree with Sam. People who buy on release day get a short-term massive boost in points, which will very likely be lost quickly as drivers mature, mods are developed and 3rd-party PCBs come to market.

2 or 3 weeks might not make any difference to easy availability across most of the world. It will reduce the geographical difference but not eliminate it.

Nice idea though A time delay might have interesting effects in keeping the Enthusiast league "affordable" though
https://twitter.com/K404ExtremeOC

I have no world records, but I have some GOLD MEDALS.

Titan has nothing to offer that is worth the price.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:09
Really Xtremely Doomed

no points til release date.

I think massman was pawning himself for having the 7970 before the release date lol
Old 01-12-2012, 03:49
robo cop

I don't see the point. So what, you go down in the rankings for a few weeks until you get one of your own. Then once you start submitting you go back up where you were. It's not going to kill anyone to loose a few spots.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:23
construction bot

Gotta go with no on this one. The "No points until NDA lift" rule is enough.

It's not HWBot's job to make sure that people have access to the same HW at the same time; it's not HWBot's job to adjust so that the people that can't buy the HW don't have their scores beaten. And it's not the guy's fault that he lives in a country that got stock of the card before another country... That's the world we live in; there are large markets and there are small markets, and people living in large markets will more often than not get the latest HW before those living in smaller markets.

And then there is the main concern I have... You start adding/modifying rules just to please a segment of the community and pretty soon there will be another group asking for a new rule because they feel they're getting an unfair share. Just recognize that you won't always be able to please everyone and implement the rules that make the site better with the least amount of overhead.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:28
Banned by Sin0822

Not in support since it will be a waste of time for Hwbot admin if nothing else. New hardware will trump old in Global is something every overclocker knows and should expect. A delay/drop in points for 15-30 days should not make a difference atleast in the normal leagues. And Pro-OC where such a drop may matter is anyways the one which is manufacturers playground so such a rule will be ridiculous.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:19
grunt bot

Send a message via MSN to Viss

No that many did actually complain Its just the way it goes.