Go Back   hwbot.org > Overclocking & benchmarking > Extreme overclocking

Extreme overclocking Refill your dewar here.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:54
In the distance

Send a message via MSN to Massman
Default How to engage the "Extreme Rookie" community?

Hey guys,

For a while we've been trying to figure out how to enable the new generation of extreme overclockers. With the Rookie and Novice categories + XTU and the Rookie Rumble, getting new blood to enter the world of overclocking and stick around has been quite successful. In fact, we have never seen so many people stick around and be active in the quarter after registration!

We have some stuff planned to engage the Novice crowd further with Rumble-like competitions.

The next step is to figure out how to enable new extreme overclockers. As far as I know based on (random) conversations there are three problems:

1) The cost to do LN2 competitively is too high
2) People don't like to be compared against the sponsored overclockers
3) Currently one try with extreme cooling moves you automatically to extreme, losing your enthusiast ranking

About 1) and 2) it's difficult to do much at HWBOT, but we've created an entire platform at OC-ESPORTS for this (you can compete with AMD APU or even ARM chips if you don't want to be forced to buy 4770K + GTX 980).

Issue 3) is a bit more difficult. MarshallR from the ROG forums made an interesting suggestion, though. He suggested to leave a grey zone between Enthusiast and Extreme where a user who tries LN2 can gain points for the results and is ranked in both Enthusiast and Extreme League. Of course the points in the Enthusiast League would be affected by any extreme submission. So for example:
Code:
X = extreme cooling; E = ambient cooling

Simplified League where the rank is calculated on the "best 5 scores with unique hardware"

Result #1 - 50pts - X - CPU 1
Result #2 - 40pts - E - CPU 2
Result #3 - 30pts - E - CPU 1
Result #4 - 20pts - X - CPU 3
Result #5 - 10pts - E - CPU 4
Result #6 - 5pts - X - CPU 5
Result #7 - 2pts - E - CPU 6

Points for Enthusiast League BEFORE extreme result = 40 + 30 + 10 + 2 = 82pts

Points for Enthusiast League AFTER extreme result = 40 + 10 + 2 = 50pts
Points for Extreme League AFTER extreme result = 50 + 40 + 20 + 10 + 5 = 125pts
So in effect: the user loses 32 pts from his Enthusiast League total after submitting the extreme cooling results. The reason is: result #3 is not taking into account because Result #1 is better and uses the same hardware. Result #6 is not taken into account because the algorithm only uses the 5 best scores of the user.

What do you guys think about that?
Old 12-31-2014, 12:26
construction bot

Send a message via Skype™ to sergii.ua

Great idea. Flawless.
Small correction - user loses 30 prs from Enthusiast League, not 32.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:39
grunt bot

I always wonder how non sub zero guys can set common cpu records,and its just too much put into the league thing.
its your show and I love you guys no matter but I just hope it does not get too convoluted.
like whats next? the I put a stock heatsink cooled cpu and gpu in a dry ice carrier league...like its -30c if the box is full....nah thats too long a league name lol

problem 3 is easy to fix set your submission to no points then you don't lose your whatever rank.
others always cry about this guy or that guy this and that .
what are you going to do break it down for the cry babies ....ok ok you tell them have the fastest xxx run on a Tuesday at 4.56 pm on a rainy day in there moms basement? can I get in the garage league I will be the fastest on a sunday 8.00pm lololololol
ok ok do what you are going to do I still love it and have a happy new years....hey wait a holiday league???....that would be tough just thinking about it

Last edited by cowgut; 12-31-2014 at 12:41.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:48
robo cop

Disable points for subzero submissions seems to be the best idea.
You still keep your rank in there and see your result compared with others,if you need points for that submission you should consider changing league.
Old 01-01-2015, 17:51
ret(ard)ired OCer

1 and 2 an onpy be countered by local gathering or workshop.

Indeed the "disable point" can be a solution. Having pointcalculated differently make it a bit more complex but could work too !
Old 01-02-2015, 02:33
robo cop

I think the most prohibitive thing is cost and availability of dewars/pots.
at least for Australia.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:40
In the distance

Send a message via MSN to Massman

Of course disabling points is an option, but it's not very inspiring for people. It's a "negative action" ... I prefer to do "positive actions".

Think about when you started doing extreme overclocking. At least for me, I didn't start straight with liquid nitrogen. I went from single stage phase change to dry ice and then eventually liquid nitrogen. But back then, it was a bit easier because A64 was coldbugging, there weren't "this many" people doing liquid nitrogen and the binning was less as well.

I'm not sure but nowadays single stage phase change seems not really that much interesting. It's better to stay enthusiast than to go straight in competition with the heavy LN2 hitters. There's not a real step in between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeropluszero View Post
I think the most prohibitive thing is cost and availability of dewars/pots.
at least for Australia.
Old 01-02-2015, 14:02
construction bot

I think it's a great idea, and I'm for any change as I've been sitting on the fence for a while now.

I've had pots for over 2 months and not used them. The lack of LN2 and DICE available where I live also makes it hard.

My 2 cents worth of an idea though, which isn't worth much as I'm still what I class as a OC noob.

Why have 3 "non-extreme" leagues.

Why not maybe have bit of a re-structure.

Rookie League - Obviously leave this as it is. First 3 months - non extreme cooling.
Novice League - Make this your league for air/water overclockers. As there are a few from this league that will never go above air/water.
Enthusiast League - Make this league for SS/DICE. Both sit roughly in the same world. DICE having bit more of a edge.
Extreme League - LN2/Helium etc - For the guys who use cooling below -100.

I've just never understood the purpose of having the novice and enthusiast leagues.
Old 01-02-2015, 14:34
Fully capable of playing games

Just leave it alone.
3 leagues was plenty.
You're not gonna make everybody happy even if there was 50 leagues.
Keep it simple.

"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you."
Old 01-02-2015, 21:08
construction bot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkDogg View Post
I think it's a great idea, and I'm for any change as I've been sitting on the fence for a while now.

I've had pots for over 2 months and not used them. The lack of LN2 and DICE available where I live also makes it hard.

My 2 cents worth of an idea though, which isn't worth much as I'm still what I class as a OC noob.

Why have 3 "non-extreme" leagues.

Why not maybe have bit of a re-structure.

Rookie League - Obviously leave this as it is. First 3 months - non extreme cooling.
Novice League - Make this your league for air/water overclockers. As there are a few from this league that will never go above air/water.
Enthusiast League - Make this league for SS/DICE. Both sit roughly in the same world. DICE having bit more of a edge.
Extreme League - LN2/Helium etc - For the guys who use cooling below -100.

I've just never understood the purpose of having the novice and enthusiast leagues.
this doesn't really help with trying dice/ln2 a few times, getting points, and not having to move up a league.

I was kind of upset at first that my first ln2 sub made me switch leagues and almost made watercooling subs not fun anymore, but now I am glad that I switch to extreme league and wouldn't like a change since I already had to make this decision myself.

I thought about a cool idea when deciding which league to join. Maybe setting up 2 accounts, one for water and one for extreme, but that wont really work and would mess up the team leagues.

I think things are good the way they are. Once you start using ln2 you wont really want to go back to water anyway.