Go Back   hwbot.org > HWBOT > HWBOT Development: bugs, features and suggestions

HWBOT Development: bugs, features and suggestions Suggest new or discuss existing features.

Old 03-13-2012, 22:08
grunt bot

I think that is something to think... Since MVP will take part on both amd and intel motherboards we could do like some people suggested and make it valid for the hardware released in the future.
If it is this really great feature I agree that we will have to deal with it, and differently from physix stuff it won't be an exclusive feature, since it will be on a huge number of chipsets and motherboards ... But I also agree that we cannot compare results with MVP to without MVP at least at the first moment when people already benched old hardware...
Old 03-13-2012, 22:54
In the distance

Send a message via MSN to Massman

Quote:
Originally Posted by der8auer View Post
I agree on you but who runes Benchmarks for image quality?

We run benchmarks to have comparable results here on HWBot. It's the same like F1 races. Everybody has to do the same course to get a valid time. It's not allowed to leave out obstacles even tho it would be more logic.
Nothing here at HWBOT is really comparable. Operating system, drivers, services, frequencies, silicon quality, lod, evga epower ... it's all different. It's comparable ... to a certain degree. That degree is nothing more than subjective. And the subject in this case is the definition of "what is the benchmark".

Even with Lucid Virtu, the track is still the same. The scene is still rendered (no visual difference). I understand what you're trying to say, though, but like I mentioned earlier it just comes down to how you define benchmark. Is it "render as much full frames as possible" or is it just "render the scene".
Old 03-14-2012, 03:36
Banned by Sin0822

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massman View Post
Fyi, we've scheduled adding the functionality to indicate whether or not you've used MVP in your benchmark run. MVP scores will not be ranked and will not be receiving any points for the time being. We might add ranks/points in the future, perhaps in a different category.
Is it possible to differentiate scores of 3D11, UH, 3DMV without verification link if someone tampers with the CPU/GPU clocks????
Old 03-14-2012, 05:02
Really Xtremely Doomed

People can tamper clocks. Its not illegal.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:29
robo cop

The press release is out, for example here;

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/luc...rkr-2012-03-13

(We'll get it on fm.com once guys at Finland wake up...)

Our official statement on this to our users:

Important note about LucidLogix Virtu MVP and 3DMark

LucidLogix Virtu MVP is an exciting new technology that promises to boost your PC's responsiveness, reduce latency and eliminate visual tearing, all within a low power environment. It is designed for the Intel Sandy Bridge Z68/H67/H61, upcoming Intel 7-series motherboards as well as many AMD processor-based notebooks, all-in-one PCs and desktop motherboards, and will be shipping pre-installed on a wide range of new motherboards starting in April 2012.

3DMark works by measuring the process of rendering frames of 3D graphics using defined workloads. Lucid's Virtu MVP is designed to improve responsiveness through the intelligent reduction of rendering tasks. While 3Mark scores may increase with Virtu MVP enabled, scores from systems with and without Virtu MVP are not directly comparable because of its effect on the rendering process.

We are working with Lucid to update 3dmark.com to clearly indicate whether Virtu MVP was running or not for each submitted score and to help you understand the performance benefits of Virtu MVP technologies as measured by 3DMark and our other PC performance benchmarks. The update is expected to be ready in April. Until then, we recommend that you manually add MVP information to the name and/or description of your 3DMark scores to help other users better understand your setup.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:02
robo cop

Just read the whole thread. Massman has it right this time: is the goal of the benchmark 'to render every frame' or 'to render a scene'.

A benchmark is used to emulate a real gaming scenario
In gaming, 'rendering a scene' is more important than 'rendering every frame'.
Thus the goal of a benchmark is to render a scene

Take the concept of Z-Culling in hardware. It discards part of the scene that doesn't need to be rendered because it is behind something else in the scene. MVP seems similar to this, but more in a 'you've already rendered that bit' type of scenario.

In the grand scheme of things, I'd say do it.

But it only strives to complicate HWBot more.

Plus, more excuses to bench everything again. Which is okay if you enjoy it - it'll provide another barrier to people interested doing casual benching at HWBot though ("Ugh, can't compete with my card because I'm not on Z77 or w/e")

What we need is a 2D GPU benchmark which MVP will not affect. That way if a rendering tech comes along like this, that benchmark scores will not be worried about.

Quote:
"who cares about Christian Ney, this is overclocking" - John Lam
ReviewBros
Old 03-14-2012, 12:03
robo cop

What we'd really need is all framerate counters to know when Virtu MVP discards something and not count the discarded bits.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:05
robo cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM_Jarnis View Post
What we'd really need is all framerate counters to know when Virtu MVP discards something and not count the discarded bits.
What we really need is a way of measuring GPU performance that isn't FPS. That's the underlying reality of what we're dealing with.

Quote:
ReviewBros
Old 03-14-2012, 12:10
In the distance

Send a message via MSN to Massman

Quote:
Originally Posted by borandi View Post
What we really need is a way of measuring GPU performance that isn't FPS. That's the underlying reality of what we're dealing with.
What we really need is a 3D benchmark (not 2D!) that actually says something about the hardware's ability to render a scene with a certain image quality, rather than measure how much frames it can render with a fixed quality.

A benchmark that tells me "hey, with this card you can play 1080p with 8xAA smoothly" or "hey, this card will only give you 720p with 2xAA smoothly".

I don't think FPS is going away soon, though. It's way too easy to use it as a marketing tool.
Old 03-14-2012, 13:45
robo cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by massman View Post
i Don't Think Fps Is Going Away Soon, Though. It's Way Too Easy To Use It As A Marketing Tool.
Qft.

Edit: Something's wrong with the quoting system, it changed the case on the first letter in all your words. :/

Quote:
ReviewBros