Go Back   hwbot.org > Overclocking & benchmarking > Overclocking and tweaking > AMD Thuban OC

AMD Thuban OC Share findings, overclockers, settings and pose questions about AMD's latest: Thuban

Old 04-05-2010, 18:15
In the distance

Send a message via MSN to Massman

Just went through a couple of MSI bioses. No trace of the new DDR3-2000 divider; but several options that indicate 8-core CPUs.
Old 04-05-2010, 21:19
HWBOT Staff

Send a message via Skype™ to Antinomy

Yes, I know that, Massman and what I wanted to say is just that this method can be inaccurate.
Quote:
who wants 1:1 with DDR3?
Sempron does

Checked the Gigabyte ga-890gpa-ud3h - has only DDR3-1600 (the advertised 1866+ is via overclocking). Nothing interesting though - it's a board with integrated video.
Then the 890XAUD3 - 790X+SB850. This one has DDR3-1600 too. Though it has core managing for six cores (deactivating, can't say whether this option can activate cores). The rest is not interesting.

Last edited by Antinomy; 04-05-2010 at 21:35.
Old 04-05-2010, 21:42
robo cop

2000MHz dual is possible now, right (but hard work think),Hope IMC Thubans will better than Phenoms
Old 04-05-2010, 22:13
In the distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antinomy View Post
Sempron does
Actually ... you are right! The moment I was writing the message, I already thought

Quote:
Checked the Gigabyte ga-890gpa-ud3h - has only DDR3-1600 (the advertised 1866+ is via overclocking). Nothing interesting though - it's a board with integrated video.

Then the 890XAUD3 - 790X+SB850. This one has DDR3-1600 too. Though it has core managing for six cores (deactivating, can't say whether this option can activate cores). The rest is not interesting.
The management for six cores has been in the bioses for quite some time (check link in opening post) and can also be found in the MSI 890GXM bios. Also found references for 8-core cpus ... someone an idea?

As for the advertised DRAM frequencies ... well ... hehe
Old 04-05-2010, 23:26
HWBOT Staff

Yes, I've seen the info on Asus - I just wanted to check another headline manufacturer.
The idea on eight cores is unification - for the quad core we had to make a two bit machineID (haven't read the BIOS developers guide for ages so I quote as I remember it). When we go to six cores, we have to change the routine. So if we implement a three-bit, why not make an eight core? Anyway it will come out, so no double job. That's my idea.

What can be said - this is obviously nothing to deal with server CPUs - already 12 cores there. Think it's for future desktop, lower tech. process for sure.
Old 04-06-2010, 00:39
HWBOT Staff

I've checked in Biostar TA890GXE BIOS - http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/bios.php?S_ID=474
It shows the ability to
enable or disable Core Performance Boost
Disable CPU cores
Activate disabled cores (BIO-unlocKING) - which for now, seems, only is able to unlock third and forth cores only - not for Thuban.
The max multiplier in Biostar is 31.5x. More than enough, though

Massman, as for the ECC - AMD had this one for ages - since the presentation of AMD Hammer family it's just hidden in BIOS until you plug in a ECC memory stick
I wanted to clear this as the are newsmakers beginning to reprint your words

Last edited by Antinomy; 04-06-2010 at 00:45.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:41
In the distance

Quote:
The idea on eight cores is unification - for the quad core we had to make a two bit machineID (haven't read the BIOS developers guide for ages so I quote as I remember it). When we go to six cores, we have to change the routine. So if we implement a three-bit, why not make an eight core? Anyway it will come out, so no double job. That's my idea.

What can be said - this is obviously nothing to deal with server CPUs - already 12 cores there. Think it's for future desktop, lower tech. process for sure.
Aha, good info there!

Unification does make sense, I guess. There are no real features build around 8 cores, just the very base code is present.

Quote:
I've checked in Biostar TA890GXE BIOS - http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/bios.php?S_ID=474
It shows the ability to
Disable CPU cores
Activate disabled cores (BIO-unlocKING) - which for now, seems, only is able to unlock third and forth cores only - not for Thuban.
The max multiplier in Biostar is 31.5x. More than enough, though
I guess there's no Thuban microcode inserted into that bios yet. 31.5x is, by the way, the maximum useable multiplier for Phenom-II. I've seen some manufacturers add higher multipliers in the bios, but that's just wasting space.

Maybe they work for Thuban - no idea.

Quote:
Massman, as for the ECC - AMD had this one for ages - since the presentation of AMD Hammer family it's just hidden in BIOS until you plug in a ECC memory stick
I wanted to clear this as the are newsmakers beginning to reprint your words
Aha! Good to know as well. Haven't played with ECC memory since ... Skulltrail, so no idea
Old 04-06-2010, 10:07
robo cop

I think, maybe is some code for Bulldozer. I believe, samples Bulldozers are ready maybe 1-2 months.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:12
HWBOT Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massman View Post
I guess there's no Thuban microcode inserted into that bios yet. 31.5x is, by the way, the maximum useable multiplier for Phenom-II. I've seen some manufacturers add higher multipliers in the bios, but that's just wasting space.
You were a bit inattentive
Quote:
this means Thuban support, I'm sure you know, just have missed that line.
Old 04-17-2010, 22:16
robo cop

today i was looking second at this image and...watch at error reports...Its look like something new architecture-think, its Bulldozer