All feedback was sent and today I received a new bios. The biggest issue of the previous bios was that the default B2B was set to 13(!) which allowed rediculous memory frequencies, but coming at no performance whatsoever. To give you an example: 2400CL8 was giving me 16k bandwidth. The new bios comes with a default B2B at disabled (or 0), which makes it clock a little less high, but comes at a higher performance level.
Oh, and I managed to -finally- flash my OC Dashboard. It's now perfectly working with this mainboard
I've focussed on memory and BCLK this night - only air cooling. First some picture of my dirty workspace.
Now some results.
230MHz BCLK CL6-7-6
(220MHz air // 240MHz phase with X58A-UD7)
Findings and Remarks:
Again, I've send my feedback to MSI. Just some things I wanted to share with you.
- VTT over 1.430V set in bios (~1.48V real) doesn't post. You can increase VTT with the OC Dashboard in Windows no problem
- 230MHz BCLK is straight from boot to windows and 32M stable, however to get it there you need to follow this routine:
--- boot into bios
--- set all correct multipliers and memory timings I want to use with 230MHz BCLK
--- set BCLK to 195MHz
--- save bios
--- boot into bios
--- set BCLK to 230MHz
--- soft reboot = I can boot at 230MHz into windows
- 210MHz 2:10 is perfectly stable, but not straight from boot to windows. Boot @ 210MHz = no loop stable; boot @ 195MHz and increase to 210 in windows = fully stable
- 230Mhz BCLK was done with 105Mhz PCie, 1.48V VTT and 1.3V IOH. Nothing tuned, nothing tweaked.
- At the moment, MEM/UNC ratios lower than 1/2 doesn't post. This should be fixed in the next bioses.
- The V-switch works differently (imho better) than on previous boards. Now it doesn't increase the voltage anymore, but removes the voltage securities in the bios. Eg: vswitch off = max Vcore of 1.7V, vswitch on = max vcore of 2.3V
Tomorrow I will switch back to the Single Stage to see if I can get more from BCLK and memory. For 3D comparison I will have to wait untill a new high-end VGA lands on my desk. Let me know if I need to test things in particular or make some pictures or so.
//edit: before someone kicks in the open doors - no, the efficiency of the 32M is not superb, I didn't care. No, the results are not extraordinary, they are where they should be.