Go Back   HWBOT forum > >

HWBOT Frontpage News Official HWBOT articles and frontpage news

User Tag List

Overclocking CPU Frequency on H87 and B85 Motherboards Made Possible with ASRock?s Non-Z OC

TAIPEI, TAIWAN, June 27, 2013 ? Who ever said that only K series CPUs and the Z-family platform are capable of being overclocked? The avant-garde company ASRock has broken this limitation with an exciting new feature named Non-Z OC! Via this feature overclockers may install their K series CPUs to ASRock?s Fatal1ty H87 Performance or any other H87 B85 chipset motherboards and start overclocking immediately!

The first ASRock motherboard that implements the Non-Z OC feature is Fatal1ty H87 Performance, which is also the H87 motherboard with the most number of power phases in the market currently. Along with its powerful 8 Power Phase design, the CPU frequency can be effortlessly overclocked up to 26%! Simply update to the latest version of our UEFI, then you?ll find the Non-Z OC feature sitting in the OC Tweaker page, select a frequency from a couple of preset settings, restart, kick back to enjoy your drink and voila!

Full press release: click

Jun 27, 2013 - press release - hwbot.org
Unread 06-27-2013
HWBot Staff & Forums Administrator

der8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to der8auer

This is really interesting Does it also change the BCLK or only the CPU Multi?

Last edited by der8auer; 06-27-2013 at 11:35.
Unread 06-27-2013
robot overlord

TaPaKaH
Send a message via ICQ to TaPaKaH Send a message via Skype™ to TaPaKaH

most phases on the market!
Unread 06-27-2013
robo cop

borandi

CPU Strap + BCLK changes I'd imagine? I wonder if it's easier to adjust the strap on H- than the multiplier.

Quote:
"who cares about Christian Ney, this is overclocking" - John Lam
Unread 06-28-2013
In the distance

Thanked 1,047 Times in 522 Posts
Massman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Massman

I think it's ratio only, but that's just a guess.

I'm not entirely sure what the "point" of the feature is, though. Aside from an additional sales point for the H87 series. In the end, the idea of the K-sku CPU and Z-sku chipset is to have overclocking as a premium feature. If overclocking is only possible on Z-chipsets, there is more margin to be made. For mainboard vendors, it is very interesting to sell premium priced products as there is a higher profit per sold item. The margin on H-series motherboards is a lot lower because the price is lower. So, it's quite possible that to make the same profit as 1x Z87, you have to sell 10x H87 (ratio is just an estimate). The cheapest B85 boards come in at around ***8364;60, the cheapest Z87 boards at around ***8364;100. That's only a difference of ***8364;40. I can't imagine anyone spending ***8364;300+ on a 4770K and then choosing a cheap board to go with it. Especially since you're still limited with the BCLK and memory ratios.

In the end, I like the idea of making (limited) overclocking possible on the low-end chipset SKUs. Any kind of tricking and breaking the limitations is awesome. But I don't really understand why because

- Intel might not be too happy
- B85 and H87 still limited in BCLK and memory frequency
- Undercutting own product lines (if you want to do CPU OC, why buy Extreme or OCF series?)
- No guarantee it will work in the future
- Not sure if K-sku owners want to get anything less than Z-chipset

Perhaps it's only meant as marketing to get people to understand ASRock as a good R&D team that knows its stuff. If that is the case, I'd say thumbs up and well done !

For all HWBOT community related questions, contact Christian Ney or Websmile. For any other questions, contact me at pieter@hwbot.org.
Unread 07-06-2013
In the distance

Massman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura aboutMassman has a spectacular aura about

Asus, Gigabyte and ECS have released their bioses as well. Sales teams must be going crazy demanding these "fixed" bioses from engineering. I wonder how much more of these low end boards they'll sell.

Still I wonder why they are going ahead with these releases. They're undercutting their own higher margin segments for some reason. Most prices are pretty similar anyway. Perhaps we'll see a price-war going on in the B/H-segment?

For all HWBOT community related questions, contact Christian Ney or Websmile. For any other questions, contact me at pieter@hwbot.org.
Unread 07-06-2013
HWBot Staff & Forums Administrator

der8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond reputeder8auer has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to der8auer

This is really special. There we go back to the "we need all features our competitor has". I wonder what Intel says about this.
Unread 07-07-2013
Banned by Leeghoofd

sin0822

They prob might sell higher quantity, but IDk if there will be demand for such low end boards that OC. The Z boards are still nicer in general and that is why people buy them other than OC. I mean I see epople buy Z boards with non K processors too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by der8auer View Post
This is really special. There we go back to the "we need all features our competitor has". I wonder what Intel says about this.
Who knows maybe they orchestrated this. Would seem pretty easy to patch in the next BIOS code release and make it so that mobo makers can't do this. Also is it me or do these OCes seem lower than Z87?
Unread 07-07-2013
In the distance

Patching the code won't change much. Vendors will just use the old "buggy" code in their newer bioses.

Unless the new code is really needed for something.

Unread 07-07-2013
transformer

Lucky_n00b is on a distinguished road

Interesting. Until I'm writing this, ASRock, Gigabyte, and ECS already made their new BIOS release which enables this Non-Z Overclocking. No 'official' response from Intel about this yet.

I'm still wondering how this is done though, is it modification to the ME Firmware to make the non-Z chipset to properly recognize K-series CPU?

I Will probably try one of those cheap B85 boards to see how this Overclocking is implemented on the BCLK and memory also..
Unread 07-07-2013
In the distance

Afaik, it seems that it's just the CPU ratio and not BCLK or memory multipliers. I don't really know what it is, but I assume they forgot to lock some access to CPU MSR and you can increase the CPU Turbo ratio freely.